Author Topic: The Good Allotment Survey  (Read 8677 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Re: The Good Allotment Survey
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2011, 14:03:28 »
Thanks Un, it worked - 80%!

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2011, 14:04:48 »
still no go, Nanny computer  ;D
Sorry Manics, I think you're OK now, would you have another go please.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

pumkinlover

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2011, 14:07:36 »
Congrats!

Just a question- why is important to get free manure- from what I hear on here it seems to cause lots of problems.

We get manure but the farmer charges- but I think that is as much for his time and diesel? At least that way there is no falling out.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2011, 14:08:20 »
85% , just need the composting toilet now  ;D
Interesting survey, Unwashed

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2011, 14:14:39 »
85% , just need the composting toilet now  ;D
Interesting survey, Unwashed
Wow! Top score Manics, beating Squash into second place. :)

I think it needs some tuning, but I reckon there's something in the idea.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2011, 14:16:29 »
i think we only got 24 per cent  cos  the best we have is soil   ::)
i don't belive death is the end

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2011, 14:20:23 »
Congrats!

Just a question- why is important to get free manure- from what I hear on here it seems to cause lots of problems.
In itself free dung can be quite helpful but I really want some simple objective questions that measure how good the site is from the allotmenteer's perspective and free dung is like an indicator, because a site that provides free dung is also likely to provide a bunch of other useful free stuff like chippings, scalpings, timber, etc. :)

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2011, 14:23:13 »
i think we only got 24 per cent  cos  the best we have is soil   ::)
You're still beating my site!

Actually I did wonder about points for good soil because as gardeners it's obviously really important to us, but I decided not to because it's not something the site can do anything about and I wanted the result to be something a site could aim at improving by making changes and doing stuff differently.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2011, 14:29:21 »
Luckycharlie prison officer Alan (the one with the wheelbarrow ;D) said last year that as there were lots more ladies a toilet was needed. I think there are 6 ladies on your site. How's Ian aka Alex  ;D ;D ;D or is it Alex aka Ian :D. Yes your site is lovely. Is there a tick box for MSP or don't they count ;D.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2011, 14:59:41 »
We got 75%.

Suggested omissions: newsletter and/or other communication (notice boards, emails, website); BBQ and/or other social events; school visits; links with local community; insurance; regular supplies of chipped bark, pallets, timber, etc; accessibility of Committee (phone, email published, etc); AGM; publication of minutes and/or accounts; plot inspections; secure fencing & gates; trading hut; seed schemes; length of waiting list (and whether/how those on it are kept in touch) ....

A weighting system would be a good idea, but I wouldn't want to attempt it! (Although when we took over and asked the members their priorities, everyone said security & water!

I think that's a pretty good first draft, though.

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2011, 15:01:09 »
nearly fell off my chair got 48% and our site only has 8 plots  ;D  ;D  ;D

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2011, 15:09:04 »
43%.  What about the friendly people on our site that help each other, and we all swop produce.  Our site is run by the Council, any complaints, queries go through the site sec. to the Council (allotments dept.)  We get grass cut around the site, have got new security fence, and also get compost, manure, wood chip and scaffold boards.  No sheds means less vandalism, I like my site, and think it should have scored higher. We have just had new water tanks put in and they even cut the branches of the overgrown trees.  The toilets are not too good, but do flush, and good in an emergency.  Not sure we want a community shed as like to go to the allotment to get some peace and only chat to people when I want.  Some of the areas are a bit wild, but I like that.  I want at least 80%, can I do it again.  ;D ;D ;D

babyrhino

• Not So New ...
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2011, 15:13:06 »
Don't often post on here but I am confused by the fact my site doesn't have open days etc its a minus point in your survey , to me the fact strangers are not walking all over my plot is a good thing . An environmental policy sounds like big brother telling me what to do again , so no thanks to that . Our site in Minehead gets 100% from me as I can go there and get left alone to do what I enjoy and that's grow some veg . Perhaps I'm a bit strange but there rant over !

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2011, 15:37:24 »
I tend to agree with babyrihno - we score badly on the test but our site is brilliant (for me at least)..
We have minimal rules which seems to make most people happy but no toilet, no open days, no skip, no shop, no manure, no parking etc.  Basically I am left alone to grow my veg and chat to my neighbours.
I am sure there are many sites that have all the facilities but are miserable places to grow.

Personally I think it is very hard to quantify what makes a site happy and successful. 
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

banksy

• Half Acre
  • Southend-on-Sea, Essex
    • my blog
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2011, 15:42:37 »
Although a newcomer at my site, I answered the best I could and scored 62% - I have no idea if thats good or bad  ???

Personally we love our new plot and even managed to spend most of the day on there on Sunday not doing much just enjoying the sun and tranquillity, lovely!

Iain
Friends always welcome on the plot, weeds by appointment only.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2011, 15:55:39 »
We made 91%..no sheds for us but we  have no charge for  heavy equipment and all gardening tools are supplied, we also have taps with hoses attached which reach every plot.

I had to figure out the rent as our plots are small but it worked out.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Steve.

• Half Acre
    • The Nook
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2011, 16:27:49 »
"Your site score is: 28% "

Think Q4 could be changed to include tapped water as a choice.

We have no site hut, loo or open day. But we do have a small carpark that mostly suffices. Very small problem with theft, no equipment hire, seed schemes or site inspections.

Its quite a good site with more plus's than negatives, 28% seems quite harsh. The survey is a good idea and yardstick but as with all of these things it needs some refining.

Steve...:)
"The Nook"

Photo's copyright ©Steve Randles, however if you want one, please ask.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2011, 17:10:07 »
69%....  :-\

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2011, 17:16:39 »
Well done a good idea. but for me the result does not reflect my opinion of our site.

Our site score 43% but actually I am very happy with it so would actually score it much higher.  I would give it an 85 or even 90%.

Yes we have manure, but actually it can be contaminated one bucket full can cause problems and the next one is fine.

There is no democratic representation but the management is open to suggestions and if possible acts on them.   It is run by a very benign dictator.

We have no car park but there is somewhere to park.  But only have brief vehicular access to one small gate perhaps this is the one big draw back.

A simply are you happy with the management would be nice.

Our shed is not a dump but cannot be used for tea and a chat so a intermediate category would be nice.  We are not allowed sheds green houses etc, but for me this is a plus especially when you see some site with a multitude of tatty looking sheds.  

Our water is adequate not sufficient fill up points but we are allowed to fill butts with hose pipe and so far the water has not run out.  

There is not question about maintainance of hedges and paths etc which is well done for us.  

But a down for me is dog do on the plot and this is not covered nor is problems with deer, pigeons, badgers, rabbits, squirrels etc etc.

Also not covered is the general aspect of the site, eg we are surrounded by trees and nature reserves and there is a horse/sheep in the next field and lots of wildlife and good fresh air and friendliness of other allotment holders is also important for me.  Interaction with wildlife is brilliant.  Seen jays, buzzards, red kite, kestral and baby wrens and there have been several grass snakes having a gang bang in my compost bin.

Perhaps also are the plots well tended because weeds blowing about the place can be an issue, be have about 90 cultivated.  

Security fencing is also an issue and we have none so there has been the odd bit of vandalisation.

Long term prospects of the site is also important, is someone trying to build on the site, we are on the path of a proposed bypass, except no one has any money or motivation to build one at the moment.

We now have a loo but it is about 5 mins walk, we do have the shed and a bucket.  :o    

Maybe length of waiting list is also important.  

It is more expensive than some but compares well with Swindon so not totally happy with having to give it the highest cost category.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2011, 17:19:44 »
26% and i'm surprised it was that high as we get nothing provided, no commitee, etc. Maybe the weighting for no theft was high!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal