Author Topic: Christmas spuds  (Read 913 times)

tog

• Not So New ...
Christmas spuds
« on: August 19, 2011, 13:15:02 »
I bought some 'Charlotte' seed spuds, on sale as 'for Christmas', wondering if it is worth putting them on my plot?

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Christmas spuds
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 13:22:19 »
Never done any myself but a greenhouse would be better.  Last year we had a very early frost and snowfall which would have killed the folliage..
I guess it's a gamble but I do think there is an old thread on this somewhere - general consensus was that its a bit of fun but you get a pretty low yield..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Christmas spuds
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 16:06:46 »
I don't know about being christmas potatoes..but yesterday I did planted some for late crops.
Few weeks ago I found couple of taties that I forgot about.. ::) They've grown little 'plants' on them. So I took those slips and potted them in 3in pots and week later they went into 1 litre pots. Yesterday I planted them into 15 litre buckets and already they had few marble size potatoes on them.. ;D
Now I'm living in hope that the blight is keeping away and those will yield somethig for me and if needs to be they can be lifted into GH away from the worst of the weather.
Suppose I could always leave them into buckets when tops die and harvest them in Christmas. They should store well if/when the compost has dried out, it will keep the potatoes insulated against cold as well.
It is certainly faster way growing from 'slips' than from seed potatoes..

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal