Author Topic: Who put the heating off?  (Read 2520 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Who put the heating off?
« on: July 24, 2011, 10:10:28 »
Was it just here or was it very cold where you were.  Only about 8C here last night, certainly do not expect single figures in late July.   22C forecast for today nice bu the wind feels cold  yet another cold 9C for tonight.

Sweet corn seems to be couple of feet shorter than last couple of years.  Tomatoes seem to be slow to fruit up.  But apples two weeks early, and early potatoes larger than expected.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: Who put the heating off?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 10:30:59 »
Not sure where you are, but it's been just the same here. Friday night I came very close to putting the heating on but just couldn't do it!

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 11:01:30 »
at least it's stopping blight  ;D

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 19:29:03 »
I,am a soft git ,i was so cooled last night i had a hotwater bottle, there was frost somewhere in the highlands Scotland .

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 19:51:01 »
Oh heck, I put the heating on but it broke my heart.

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 20:15:04 »
I did mention the words Central heating could go on ,i never saw hubby move so fast (not to put on the heating but get me the hotwater bottle) well he did make it for me.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 10:05:26 »
I just can't get the tomatoes to ripen :(  But the squash are getting humungous with the wet weather. The weather here in Britanny has been s***house, hot and drought in April and May now cold and wet in June and July  :-[  I have a jumper on today...
The squash are also getting powdery mildew, and noticed that the majority of the plotholders seem to have it. Bugger. Just as I was starting to get the courgettes in.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 17:41:56 »
Hot again today. Someone's put some money in the meter.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 17:46:47 »
I put the winter duvet back on last week, it was August las year ::) ;D.

pumkinlover

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 18:17:06 »
What age are you ladies???

I think it's wonderful :-[

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 08:17:21 »
With these temperatures I don't think I'm going to get any sweetcorn what so ever..they've hardly grown since I put them in ground...and..I've grown more this year than ever before.. ::) >:(
We've had woodfire on odd nights..I'm NOT putting central heating on this time of the year..and yes..fleece is on too..brrrr..like b****y winter!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 08:37:30 »
Actually a very nice warm day yesterday.  But back to the watering.

There are signs of mosaic virus on one plot here on a set of squashes I hope it does not spread. Luckily I  have my Clarita courgettes which I have never seen with any disease either virus or mildew.  So I hope it lives up to my expectations.  I also have Safari which is a new one on trial, so will be disappointed if that gets it.

My sweet corn is ok but 16 inches shorter than last year.  Just beginning to get the females.  Though one variety the leaves have turned brown and quite a few have not grown.  Earlybird only one looking really bonny.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 08:39:24 by Digeroo »

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 20:35:54 »
Things in the green house are not happy, my toms are not going red,and my melons have started going yellow on the leaves, the melons are rotting boo hoo, but i stuck 4bananas around the tommys they'll turn red soon .i hope!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal