Author Topic: Boston Squash  (Read 824 times)

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
Boston Squash
« on: July 29, 2011, 11:32:39 »
Hi everyone, Im growing Boston squash for the first time this year & I have some lovely yellow fruit at just about the right size for me on my plants....can I pick them now before they go orange & put them on a windowsill to ripen? (this is what i usually do with butternuts in order to keep the size smaller & get more squash from the plants) Will they keep ok over winter if I pick them at the yellow stage?
Thanks x jane

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Boston Squash
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 17:28:13 »
No, they will not store unless fully mature, you can use them as summer squash now but it seems such a waste,

Even your butternuts will be sweeter if you let them to mature.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 19:33:21 »
Hi Jeannine thanks for getting back to me. That's a shame that they wont ripen on a windowsill as I doubt we will be having enough sunshine to make them ripen on the plants. It has been such a strange year weather wise in the UK this year ::) my butternut plants have hardly grown at all since the cold spell we had a few weeks ago & they dont have any fruit on them so I was really hoping the Bostons would save the day by ripening nicely on my windowsills & being my winter squash supply this year :-\ x jane

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 16:11:21 »
I'm growing 1 this year as well, along with a few others, and from past years there is still plenty of time for them to ripen up on the vine.
I can't remember whereabouts you are, but I tend to bring mine indoors sometime in October, as late as possible so they've had the best chance possible  :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 17:21:03 »
Leave them as late as you can, if the plant gets mildew  pull the fruit when the plant starts to die back..if not then just wait, but watch out fro frosts. there is still lots of time.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal