Author Topic: Extra seed saving circle?  (Read 21295 times)

Gadget

• Acre
  • Getting dug in, Hertford
Re: Extra seed saving circle?
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2011, 15:44:39 »
Jayb,

I understand about all the envelopes and labelling etc, do I send them into a central pot? ??? and if so where....sorry, I am having a bit of a week and my brain is not retaining any info... ;D

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2011, 08:31:15 »
Hi Gadget, yes your seeds will need to be sent to me in a Self Addressed envelope. Include stamps to the value of £2.48 1st or £2.01 2nd to be on the safe side although I think it should be £1.96 or £1.72 maybe less depending on the size. I’ll return any unused stamps with your seeds.

Last year I had an envelope with each person’s name on. When the seeds started arriving it made it quite easy to divide the seeds equally and keep a track of. I am aiming to post them back to you first week of December.

Edit to add updated list;

The group stands currently at eleven (12 if Jeannine joins us),

Robert B, Kale and possibly peas/beans and Angelica

Gadget, Sunflowers
Borlotti beans
Coriander seeds
Sweet peas
Purple chillies

Hector, Black Seeded Simpson Lettuce
Tomato Snowberry
Mini White Cucumber
Lettuce Drunken Women
As back up Golden Pea Mange Tout

Mark S, TBC

1066, Pencilled in possibly; climbing French Beans like Major Cook
peas - , Salmon Flowered, a purple and maybe Winterkeefe if they ever dry out
Tomatoes - Blue OSU
Dwarf French beans, I'm not sure of at all
Kale.

Iridium, TBC

Twoflower, is on a lettuce fest, something from this list
Fat Lazy Blond
Drunken Woman
Emerald Oak leaf
Carmona
Cardinal
Grandpa Admiral
or maybe a homebred pink

Lottie Lou, tomatoes; Black Seaman, Polen and hopefully f3 Rosada

Jayb, so far Carol Leenstra’s climbing French bean, Green Zebra cherry tomato and probably Russian Blue tps

Ophi, Tomato Alaskan Fancy and Yin Yang dwarf beans, possibly Burgundy Red tps

Goodlife toms, leek, beans and peas tbc

Jeannine (pencilled in to join)
Galina donating Brune d'hiver lettuce and probably Alaska tomatoes. Thank you
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 08:44:08 by Jayb »
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2011, 08:40:14 »
ooooo it's getting exciting, the thought of packing up seeds, sending them off, waiting for the return goodie bag (yes we put Goodie aka goodlife) in a bag and send her round with the seeds  :D  :D  :D

as usual, I'm not sure I'll be around, so will confer with the postmistress nearer the time  ;)  :)

Now I need to go and make some envelopes up, but looking at the forecast I think that's a job for Sunday/Monday  :-X

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2011, 08:51:47 »
Code: [Select]
yes we put Goodie aka goodlife) in a bag and send her round with the seeds Uh..those stamps don't cover my travels..and there is weight destriction how much postie will carry in a bag..I might have biggy back ride if he is strong enough.. ;) ;D

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2011, 19:11:13 »
yes we put Goodie aka goodlife in a bag and send her round with the seeds  :D  :D  :D

:o :o ;D

Here's my update;
Carol Leenstra’s climbing beans are drying,
Green Zebra cherry fermented and now dry enough to be portioned up.
Russian Blue tps, harvested, processed and now drying.

I’ve revised the Circle list as far as I can today, be lovely to have some more updates soon. I’ve started a google document for the circle which 1066 and Hector have kindly offered to organize. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y4EAnNWSdcuzyoJg5XE7-9AUAoOgSqIKSUFdBAzhqHg/edit?hl=en_US

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2011, 08:53:22 »
yes we put Goodie aka goodlife) in a bag and send her round with the seeds Uh..those stamps don't cover my travels..and there is weight destriction how much postie will carry in a bag..I might have biggy back ride if he is strong enough.. ;) ;D
Hmmm, not a very dignified way of travelling round the country distributing seeds then! Back to the drawing board  ;)  ;D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2011, 09:27:34 »
Hmmm, not a very dignified way of travelling round the country distributing seeds then! Back to the drawing board  ;D..might not be dignified..but if the postie man is stropping lad it (he needs to be  :-X)) should be pleasure.. ;D Your seeds would be delivered with BIG grin.. ;D ;)

Ahh...for the more serious matter...I'be been hanging up beans to dry..small GH is full of bundles and not all are out of the ground yet. Some plants are starting to turn yellow now so I selectively pulled them up.
Begining of the growing season I had this 'clever' idea... ::)..by putting old wire hanging baskets over some bush beans to keep them upright and beans off from ground. Yes..did the job beautifully..but what I didn't take into account is that they grow through them and now I cannot pull them through again.. ::)
So I've got hanging baskets tied up under eaves in GH..and those plants that wasn't tangled are drying in the baskets.. ;D Something good at least but the baskets takes a lot of room.
Loads of tomato seeds are 'brewing'. So I can say that I've got plenty of Mexican tomato seeds...that's one lot almost sorted, two lots of peas are bagged; Skånsk Märgärt and Mammoth Melting Sugar Snow.
Leeks for seeds are looking good..loads of BIG flower head..but they are not ripening?!!!...perharps patience is the word...
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 09:48:41 by goodlife »

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2011, 08:11:58 »
Looking forward to the big grin then  :D

Can I ask you how you tie stuff up in the greenhouse. My ghouse is new this year, and I'm still on a major learning curve. How do you get stuff tied, I've looked around mine and can't see how you do it ! It would be great as you say for finishing drying the beans off

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2011, 14:01:01 »
in my green house i have 3 or 4 strengthening bars in the apex of the roof and i have a thick handle of a old yard brush wedged through them which i hang vege on to dry off, my onions once their dried and strung  also my hanging baskets once they have been planted in the spring  and last year basket toms  hung from there.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2011, 14:18:09 »
I've done something similar to Brown Thumb...piece of timber or long thick cane across the support bars ..beans tied into bundles and hooked over the timber/cane...I do same with peas too.
Or..if you GH don't have the bars..one of mine don't..I have bolted some L-shape GH shelf brackets high up..and tied cane across to those..
I bought crop bars to my polytunnel which work same as support bars in GH..good buy..so many things you can put up 'out of way'.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 14:20:14 by goodlife »

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2011, 15:20:02 »
Hmm...two of Snowberry fruit colouring up and they are red! I definitely haven't mixed up pots/seed.
Jackie

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2011, 09:49:39 »
Anyone got nice piccies of their varieties we can use for the cultivation/variety sheet :)
Jackie

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2011, 15:54:32 »
Interesting point Hector, it is easy enough to grow a variety, but keeping an eye on it being true to type is important. Possible it is another variety mixed in by mistake or perhaps a crossed seed.  Some whites do take on a yellow or pinky type colour when very ripe, I'm guessing you mean red as in pillar box? Are you getting the same coloured fruit from all of your plants? If they taste good you could grow some again next year to see if they segregate.

I'm just sorting out some pictures and info to add for my varieties.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2011, 23:52:52 »
Well, what with the lousy weather and the beans not ripeninng I'm going to take inspiration from heath robinson and rig something up in the greenhouse to try and get them to dry off.  :-X
will add the details and pics to the doc in the next day or so. Lots of peas bagged up! Yaayy  ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2011, 19:32:57 »
I put stuff either on the windowsill or in the boiler room down at the church to dry off. Right now I've got broad bean pods drying out nicely right next to me.

Gadget

• Acre
  • Getting dug in, Hertford
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2011, 14:17:26 »
Quick update

Purple Tiger Chillies - just started harvesting doing very nicely
Borlotti beans climbers - harvesting and drying out
Sweet pea Fragrantissima - doing very well
Sunflowers - drying out in the shed
Corriander - started well but looks like I may of have lost half of them

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2011, 11:22:58 »
I have plenty of Major Cook beans - as long as they dry properly  :) Doesn't look like I'll have any lettuce or chillies. But lets focus on the positives!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2011, 18:12:46 »
I put them in Tesco hessian bags, and leave them where the air can circulate. I've got Major Cooke if yours don't work.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2011, 12:08:38 »
that's a good tip Robert, thanks. I think they will dry out, it will just take a while. I had them hanging in the greenhouse for a few weeks and now they are at home in bowls on sunny windowsills  :)

Ophi

• Half Acre
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2011, 14:51:00 »
My Yin Yang beans are dry and  we arejust drying out the alaskan fancy.  Was worried until we had that week of sunshine and now realise that I probably will have enough to share after all.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal