Author Topic: Microtubers storage  (Read 1929 times)

mpdjulie

• Acre
Microtubers storage
« on: October 10, 2011, 10:23:15 »
I got some congo microtubers last year from Garden Organics Potato Day.  I planted them last year and got a very bountiful crop from them.  I saved about a dozen tubers from these and put them in an old shoe box and stored them in the garage.  When I went back to them this spring to plant them all but 4 had rotted.  I planted these 4 tubers and again got a very good crop from them.  I am intending on doing the same thing again this year as I was told when I initially bought the microtubers I could do this 4 times.  Can anyone tell me the best way to store them?
They make excellent chips and crisps and they retain their great purple colour!
Julie
 :)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: Microtubers storage
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 15:46:26 »
I keep mine in my understairs cupboard and ddint' have a problem.... I'll be saving again this year from not just Congo, but fortyfold, Yetholm Gypsy and a couple of TPS cultivars I've grown this year, some tubers from a particularly productive PFA and an unregisterd variety a friend gave me.... the bulk stuff I'll get new, but I reckon saving your own shouldn't be too devastating in moderation... if the yeild starts to drop you'll have to replace the line though...

chrisc

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 20:33:53 »
A neighbour of mine who shows seriously saves his own seed. He leaves them in the light to turn green, then keeps them in damp sand or sawdust. I'll be trying it this year.

mpdjulie

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 08:41:23 »
I think I'm going to try the damp sand approach this year.
I also had forty fold and aura minitubers but they all rotted and did some of the aforementioned congo.
Julie
 :)
Thanks for your replies.

willsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 21:18:41 »
If you are going to try and store in your garage, then get some poly styren boxes. will keep out frost and cold. I get mine from our local Chippy.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 11:49:04 »
I just lifted my Skagit Magic, from TPS planted in May, which I now know to be much too late. Between that and the drought, I have a lot of microtubers, but nothing over about an inch diameter. I'll use the damp sand method, and leave them in the boiler room at church. The flat's no good because of the central heating.

davejg

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 18:33:38 »
Anyone know what the best temp to hold micros (and other seed tatties ) at?

pumkinlover

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 21:19:36 »
When do you plant them?
The ones you sent me were shooting so I have potted them up Chris :-\
Hope I have done the right thing :-\ 

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 13:48:19 »
I've got a few sprouting mini tubers too. I'll plant them up in the next couple of weeks or so, but for now I've moved them to a windowsill in an unheated room. I've had good results before keeping them in in a frost free shed in just damp multi purpose. I wondered if the veggie draw of the fridge might be a good spot? although I've not tried this.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

pumkinlover

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 13:59:26 »
Theya re still in a cold place, but will keep frost free. Got the three from ChrisX so should be ok to keep an eye on them. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal