Author Topic: My sweet peas are flowering!  (Read 1913 times)

bikegirllisa

• Quarter Acre
My sweet peas are flowering!
« on: July 07, 2011, 11:30:30 »
I know it's sad, but I've never been so excited about anything I've grown before!   

I love sweet peas and I thought I'd give them a go, but they got really leggy in the conservatory, and I thought they were a write off.  Following some great advice I got here, I pinched out the growing tips, and put them in the garden and the allotment - the ones at the plot died off (I think it was just too dry and too exposed where I planted them).

But my home set went off like a rocket in the bed outside the kitchen window, and I now they're in full flower!  I am sure this is old hat to others - but I am so excited, I can't bear it! ;D

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
Re: My sweet peas are flowering!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 12:15:26 »

Resist the temptation to wind the sweet peas round the canes/string.  attach with wire rings and remove all side shoots and tendrills. 

When the peas reach the top of the canes, undo the wire and lay the plant along the ground then send it up a convenient cane. 

This way your sweet peas will last longer and gradually get more blooms per stem.  ;D   Cheers,   Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

Gadget

• Acre
  • Getting dug in, Hertford
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 13:35:32 »
I picked my first bunch yesterday and gave them to a friend who was a bit down, it cheered her up a bagful... :)

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 14:50:25 »
Bikegirllisa.       As they say a picture is worth a thousand words,

http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae294/Kleftiwallah/IMG_3309.jpg

Plants un-clipped from the strings layed along the ground and clipped to a convenient string.

http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae294/Kleftiwallah/IMG_3310.jpg

Four blooms per stalk and hoping for five or six !   Note the exclusive vase !    Cheers.   Tony.   
P.S. What bike ya got? ? ?  
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 14:52:35 by Kleftiwallah »
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 18:42:35 »
Hi Bikegirllisa
Its fab isnt it, im a massive gardening geek and little things like seeds germinating or the first sight of a flower fill me with joy.

Onwards and upwards.
Dont forget to dead head them regualrly or keep picking them and then late august leave a few seed heads to ripen this will give you free seeds for next years crop (these can be sown in october onwards)
x sunloving

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 19:22:33 »
My have been brilliant this year, two vases a day, but have almost finished now.  Collected some seed today for next year.  They do smell so lovely in the house. 

bikegirllisa

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 00:21:21 »
Yamaha TDM 900

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal