Author Topic: anyone elses outdoor squash not flowered yet?  (Read 6921 times)

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
Re: anyone elses outdoor squash not flowered yet?
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2011, 18:26:30 »
For the first time ever I havent had a single courgette yet :o
My butternuts have hardly grown since going in :'(
Luckily Im trying a new squash this year, Boston & the plants are huge & there are signs of a couple of fruit but I think Im going to be very lucky to have half a dozen winter squash at this rate.
Last year I had over 20 butternuts from 2 plants!
Can only blame it on the weird weather as the only other year the butternuts failed it was a cold wet & grey summer.
Hoping we get a mini heat wave any day now ;)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2011, 20:42:15 »
I sowed my squash and pumpkin seed at the end of May in the (unheated) greenhouse as I do every year. They grew well initially  but after the seed leves had formed they went into suspended animation and it was ages before the true leaves appeared. As a result they were only about 2-6 inhces high when I planted them in my allotment back at the beginning of July. So no flowers yet.I blame the cold June we had!

knottygal

• Not So New ...
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2011, 23:30:45 »
I have a pumpkin outdoors that is romping away, has a grapefruit-size pumpkin on it and loads of other tiddlers but the summer and winter squashes planted out the same time in late May have hardly grown at all and are only just starting to flower.
I had a spare winter and summer squash to give away but stuck 'em in the polytunnel when I realised how sulky the outside ones were and I have 3 or 4 set on each, think a poly cloche top is in order for the squashes and maybe even the courgettes next year...

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2011, 14:40:50 »
I cant see my stunted little things producing anything and i am abandoning them .....

LinnetLegs

• Not So New ...
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2011, 16:15:20 »
same here - slow start but there is some growth now on courgettes (Cavilli, Soleil, Defender) olden Hubbard has several fruits about 6 inch in diameter, various winter squash are starting to fruit but everything seems so slow. The Atlantic Giant pumpkin won't be much of a giant :(

On a positive note, I have a couple of water melons in the greenhouse, the biggest is about 5 inch in diameter  8)

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2011, 17:08:57 »
Same down here in Kent !  Courgettes struggling - but the Pumpkins are going great guns!  But on the plus side - I usually have too many courgettes - so the few I have had seem more precious somehow!
 :)
Grow yer bugger grow!

PeterVV

• Half Acre
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2011, 17:48:39 »
my squah have little yellow balls behind the flowers which seem to be getting eaten, and they have bushed up and sent runners out - about 3 foot. I think these may be either summer squash or pumpkin, I am afraid I got my seeds mixed up! the balls are yellow in colour?

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2011, 18:30:59 »
my squah have little yellow balls behind the flowers which seem to be getting eaten, and they have bushed up and sent runners out - about 3 foot. I think these may be either summer squash or pumpkin, I am afraid I got my seeds mixed up! the balls are yellow in colour?

They could possibly be pumpkins

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal