Author Topic: Glut of cabbage  (Read 3391 times)

jolly

• Not So New ...
Glut of cabbage
« on: July 21, 2011, 08:53:17 »
I planted Golden Acre cabbage earlier in the year & i now have a glut of it. I thought that some may fail & some may fall prey to pest but i was wrong ;D Some if not most are the size of footballs. So my question is can i freeze it? I was thinking of chopping, blanching and freezing. Can i do this & does it spoil the taste/texture. I was thinking of freezing most of the crop to see me though the winter & keeping some in the ground to eat fresh, so will cabbage freeze?

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Re: Glut of cabbage
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 10:21:04 »
It depends what you want to do with it afterwards. It won't be much cop for stir fry etc as it will go soggy but to just cook, or use in gratins, bubble&squeak etc it will be ok, I have frozen red cabbage before then cooked it into Flemish cabbage and it's fine.

What about making sauerkraut if you have that much? It's a little complicated but the trickiest bit seems to be finding the most appropriate container to make it in.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 10:48:01 »
I usually make large batches of veg soup with my gluts & then freeze it. Do you have anything you could add to the cabbage to make soups?

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 11:16:25 »
I am very fond of lightly cooked cabbage in a white creamy garlic sauce.  It freezes beautifully - seems to come out just as fresh and green  as it  went in.

jolly

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 12:38:44 »
Veg soup,that sounds like a good idea ;D Also bubble & squeak but im not too keen on sauerkraut. i will just be using it for things like that & the Sunday dinner :) Thanks for the replies at least i know it will not spoil once frozen. Now where are those freezer bags ;D

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 12:44:20 »
Ive got a huge cabbage glut as well and don't really know what to do with it all.  I suppose Ill freeze some and check out making sauerkraut (anyone got a simple recipe??) but is there anything else I can do to preserve some of it?
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

lillian

• Acre
  • Suffolk
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 12:51:34 »
How about pickled cabbage not the fermented sauerkraut type.

bionear2

• Half Acre
  • Wigston, Leics
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 23:09:32 »
And my surplus after freezing/processing just goes to local elderly folk, better than watching it deteriorate. Maybe someone will do the same for me some day!
Why plant rows of 24 lettuces??

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 07:59:25 »
If it's really solid, pull up & hang up in a shed?

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 19:09:45 »
So have I had a glut and found that the locals have snapped them up.
Next on the list will be the Greyhound.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal