Author Topic: Bye old friend  (Read 2318 times)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Bye old friend
« on: July 31, 2011, 17:58:28 »
We have just heard that an allotment friend died this morning.He has been on the site for years.He was at his plot every morning and always had a smile for us.When we first got our plot he gave us some of his own parsnip seed which he had been saving for years and which I have been saving since. He couldn't remember the name of it so it became  Brians seed which I have since been sharing with others.
He died while getting ready to go to his allotment. We will really miss him being on his plot when we go to the site. RIP .Brian
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: Bye old friend
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 18:32:35 »
How sad, you will miss him, but sounds as if his end was quick and he was probably thinking about his veggies, so that's something x

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 18:48:43 »
What a lovely way to go.
We remember fondly a chap called Arthur 1 (there's another one (2) ), he gave us plants when we first set up and showed the OH  a better way of digging spuds.His name is always mentioned when the earlies are ready.RIP Arthur and Brian
sanity is overated

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 18:50:31 »
I bet he is forever remembered,

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 19:01:50 »
Sorry to hear about Brian, but how nice that his parsnips will live on.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 19:25:10 »
Sorry to hear about your friend, Shirl. Glad you have a reminder of him  :)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 19:41:13 »
Sorry you have lost a good friend Shirl :-*.

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 12:17:16 »
So sad, but he has left a great memory for you (((hugs)))

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 12:22:55 »
Sad when we have to say goodbye to these people.

Hope he is on the Allotment made in heaven :)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 13:35:37 »
Unfortunately, as allotmenteers tend to be, err uh-hum, of the senior citizen persuasion, there are occasional "passings" - last year a very old gentleman (over 90) who was still faithfully gardening, passed away after a short illness, and another gardener lost his battle with cancer. Their good gardening skills are attested by the fact that their mates "swopped" and leapt onto their plots as they must have spent time  making the soil better! I admit that sometimes I still expect to see them hoeing, then I remember they are no longer with us...

Sometimes I think it would be nice to just fall down in between two rows of spuds, on a bright sunny day, but I hope to be gardening for many a long year yet!! It shows that it is a good thing to save seed though, because you leave something truly living behind to remind others of you. It's sad, but great that you are carrying on his seed, shirl.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 13:46:38 »
I was thinking that the other day, I see old friends at the allotment nearly every day, and have good chat, better than talking to OH, who doesn't listen to me anymore.  :( :(  Allotments must be good for health and the 80+ are still going strong but would really miss them if they weren't there anymore.  If I go missing well probably be found picking blackberries on the allotment and it wouldn't be a bad place to die.  A happy life is all one can wish for.

pumkinlover

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 14:30:23 »
Sounds the best way for Brian to go, and one we all would like for ourselves.

Sad but happy memories, and you will value those parsnips. :)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 18:21:36 »
When I first took on my allotment I got to know a couple of old boys who have unfortunately passed away in the last couple of years, really missed one of them who was called Bernard , I would often see him down town having a pint or in the bookies, :(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal