Author Topic: 80 peas and 50 beans  (Read 2717 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
80 peas and 50 beans
« on: February 04, 2005, 11:00:00 »
I have 80 pea seeds and 50 French bean seeds.

If I sowed all of them, how many plants could I expect to get out of them (roughly!)? And how much room would they need.

I *think* they are all climbers.

(I'm still working on my planting plan. I have five different veggies on it now!)
gone to pot :D

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
Re: 80 peas and 50 beans
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 11:23:16 »
I have 80 pea seeds and 50 French bean seeds.

If I sowed all of them, how many plants could I expect to get out of them (roughly!)? And how much room would they need.

I *think* they are all climbers.

(I'm still working on my planting plan. I have five different veggies on it now!)

You can easlity get at least 75% germination on peas and beans. Often it is very close to 100% in fact.

Peas plant about 4 to 6 inches apart, beans 6 to 8 inches, depending on variety.

Are you going to grow in rows or in wigwams. I would think rows will take less room.

Jerry
« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 11:31:33 by sandersj89 »
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2005, 11:30:42 »
thanks Jerry - I forgot about that bit but definitely rows for that many.

My mum usually does double rows of runners - are they ok for peas and french beans?

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2005, 11:33:56 »
thanks Jerry - I forgot about that bit but definitely rows for that many.

My mum usually does double rows of runners - are they ok for peas and french beans?

In the past I have grown peas up netting or on hazel twigs. Not grown peas for a number of years though. The extra support net or branches would give for peas will make them grow taller I expect.

Climbing french beans on double row canes will be fine. I have done that in the past and they were very happy.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

piglit

• Quarter Acre
  • Tall oaks… from little haycorns grow.
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2005, 17:38:53 »
Aqui,

If any of the beans are the ones we swapped last year (stratos, rocquencourt, purple something or other??) then they are all dwarf and need no support.  I had nearly 100% germination of stratos and purple when sown in cells but the yellow ones were a bit fussy at about 80%.  I also grew them crammed in together (about 4" between plants) and got a mega crop. 

Am going to do my veggie plan this weekend... its so exciting isn't it, spring being nearly here and all that!

piglit
"It is awfully hard to be b-b-brave," said Piglet, "when you are only a Very Small Animal."

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2005, 18:46:55 »
Aquilegia

Very interested to see your Planting Plan So that I have a better Idea myself.

Can you arrange that for me if its no problem

Thanks in advance

greetings Take Care Tulip -23  Mike
Sometimes its better to listen than to talk

crosers

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2005, 19:04:28 »
Hi
have you tried sowing peas in 1/2 drainpipe sections in polytunnel or greenhouse, fill with compost and push peas down 1/2 or so and fill up little holes with more compost. Water well. I put mine in a dice pattern about 2in apart each way. When seedlings are 2 inch high I make a shallow trench in garden and slide complete lot into trench and lightly cover with soil. This stops the mice eating the seed and you get better germination. Twiggy pea sticks good for supporting peas but difficult to buy unless you have a local hurdlemaker who is glad to get rid of the bits he does't use. Best thing is to find your own hazel twiggy sticks.
Good luck.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2005, 09:18:39 »
Thanks Piglit. Most of them are your french beans, so that's good to know. Some of the others are from the HSL - I think they're climbers.

Tulip - it's only on paper and I don't have a scanner. I'm still bound to change it again, even though I finalised it this morning. And it's only for a small veg patch - 3m x 3m.

crosers - good idea, but no greenhouse or polytunnel. I don't think I could fit a drainpipe on my windowsill!

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2005, 17:26:17 »
Aquilegia

I understand about the Scanner :'( N o problem really!!

Likewise my patch is only 5x3 mtrs. But really enjoying it all.
Getting it all ready. ???
Really its a piece of Land in front of the House that belongs to to the Council but we have lived here a year nearly and no one as come to do any maintenence. 8)

So I've cleared it all myself , paved the perimeter so that I have a Square. :D
Greetings Take Care Tulip-23  Mike
« Last Edit: February 07, 2005, 17:27:55 by TULIP-23 »
Sometimes its better to listen than to talk

diver

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2005, 18:16:16 »
I like the bit about growing peas in 1/2 drainpipe...do I just suspend it across the green house and fill with compost and put the peas in...can I do it with anything else as well as peas.....as my spare bedroom is now full of cauliflower, cabbage leeks and onion seeds and I will be putting the glass in the greenhouse next week..so I can put some guttering inside...please help as I am new and useless!!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal