Author Topic: Charlie has gone a bit odd  (Read 6651 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Re: Charlie has gone a bit odd
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2011, 11:43:02 »
Spoke to the vets, but the vet not there today, but will ring him tomorrow.  As I can make out they might have enough blood to do another test, but they have to ring the lab to find out, she didn't know how much it would cost, but I think that it will be a good idea to go ahead to find out what is wrong. It shouldn't be too expensive as he had the old cat's check up and consultation so will get have to dig deep into my pocket.  Think they have just asking my permission, but do need to know the cost first, and whatever treatment he can have if they find out what is wrong.  Was saving for a new carpet, but obviously the cat comes first, but he doesn't seem in any pain, having a lovely sleep in the garden, but won't come indoors even at night, only for food then out again.  Think he feels too hot, have put water out for him.  My son has moved back, as going through a divorce and he is not too keen on cats, although would never harm them, but perhaps Charlie senses this.  Son is at work today but cat still won't come in.

Ragdoll Lady

• Half Acre
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2011, 10:56:14 »
Borlotti I wish you lived near me so we could take Charlie to my vet as he does bloods on the premises.Did you ask them what exactly he has been tested for and what will they test him for this time. As you are paying your hard come by money they should let you know.I would mention Triaditis to the vet just to illiminate it (it would show as dead and dying white blood cells in the blood.
But on a good note he is still eating and drinking and pooing and weeing normally isnt he? he could very well be reacting the the change in the house with your son being home. These cats hate change and its worse as they get older. If its emotional rather than an illness Feliway plugged in the house could easily be the answer. i think the plug in complete is about £21 from the vets or pets at home and the refil about £17 it will last you around 2 months (i think). Dont buy the spray they sell as it for first contact with an angry cat so stronger. its the plug in that would be good for him. I know its more money and you may want to hold fire until the second blood test. I sympathise with you about the carpet fund. We dont have any spare money either and on the rare occasions we have one of the cats will always be sick and need a trip to the vet. These things are sent to try us! I hope things improve soon.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2011, 16:32:01 »
As far as I understand it (not being a vet) he is borderline so needs another test which I have agreed to (£45) not too bad if they have still got the blood.  All the other old cat tests the receptionist said were pretty OK. I don't have to pay yet and they said they would sort something out if he has to have another blood test so will have to trust the vet.  Said that if they find out the problem, a different thyroid problem or something he will do well on the pills.  Watch this space.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2011, 14:53:59 »
Charlie has had his second blood test, and although it was a bit high thyroid, the vet said not to worry too much, and if they treated it might hid another underlying problem. His other old age cat checks came back OK.  He is going back to the vet in two weeks, just for a further check, but so far so good.  I myself think he is just an old cat, and going through a bit of old age confusion, but he is not that stupid as knows where his food and water is.  He is asleep in the plastic greenhouse at present on my old cardigan so is OK. This new vet seems quite good and doesn't keep asking me for more money and more tests and treatment.  Cost £160 so far, and the next examination shouldn't be so much, just a consultation.  I had better get the vet to check his hearing and eye sight, as he may be like me, just getting old.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2011, 15:29:26 »
As long as he is eating and drinking he ain't that confused is he ;D.As you say he's probably getting old.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2011, 19:58:52 »
Charlie is sleeping in the laundry basket, nearly put him in the washing machine.  Dulce not allowed in as he has fleas, even although he had frontline on, and cost £50 to have the house sprayed (twice) as grandchild got bitten, although not me.  I am in real trouble with their Mum.  Apparently cats don't get fleas in Hertfordshire.  Dulce is having a lovely sleep in the outhouse on an old jumper.  Can't deflea him yet as vet said can only do it once a month, have combed him found one or two on his tail so he cannot come in the house, although he did get in the bedroom window when I was out. Charlie's tests were OK, he has to go back in a couple of weeks for another check up but as I am overdrawn at the bank will have to wait until I got my pension/housekeeping.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2011, 07:20:15 »
Hope things work out ok B .

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2011, 07:45:43 »
They certainly know how to get comfy don't they.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2011, 09:51:05 »
Charlie is allowed in as the rain and wind was bad, but he still likes his cupboard box city.  Dulce has also got a cupboard box but they keep swopping. Dulce jumped on the shelf in the lean to and broke my expensive shaped flower pot, but he says he didn't do it, but the evidence is the shattered pot on the floor.  Hopefully we have solved the flea problem in the house and the cats have had the stronghold on. If not it is the Council who will come and spray, it was identified as a cat flea but the Council said that should be easy to treat myself (ha, ha).

Ragdoll Lady

• Half Acre
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2011, 10:54:58 »
They look so content. The stronghold will break the flea cycle as the blood of the cats will no longer be necter for the fleas so they wont be able to feed and will die. All hatching fleas will starve to death so the flea problem will just die out. its really good for ear mites too :) Pleased to hear Charlie is a lot better.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal