Author Topic: Water Butts?  (Read 2820 times)

Mothy

• Hectare
  • My 4th season on my Lottie in Leicestershire.
Water Butts?
« on: February 11, 2005, 07:59:00 »
What does everyone else use for a water butt? I don't really want to pay £20++ for one from B & Q. Are there any readily available cheap alternatives?

Thank you all,

TimJ

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Water Butts?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2005, 08:17:31 »
Try a plumber's yard for a 'previously owned' plastic cold water tank?

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2005, 08:23:03 »
Hello TimJ

I've got a blue plastic barrel with lid off a skip from a building site.  I think they use them to store and transport dry goods as it's very clean.  I haven't got a shed to attach it to yet though.  Doh!

Wardy
I came, I saw, I composted

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2005, 11:14:40 »
Wilkos were doing them for a tenner last year (but could have been at the end of the season rather than the beginning. I keep toying with the idea of getting one set up to catch the run-off from my shed roof, but it's only a short walk from my plot to the nearest hand-pump, and the pumping of water helps keep me fit!

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2005, 14:03:17 »
Try the council, they often subsidise water butts & compost bins.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2005, 18:21:57 »
Ask around.  I did and ended up with 4!  All serviceable, all on the plot.  I also use an unused wheeley bin that my mum had - the council left her a whopper, but as she is on her ownsome she called and they delivered a small one but didn't take the whopper, so I did!  ;D  I also have a smaller unused plastic dustbin that the father in law gave me.  Anything that can hold water I guess will do!  ;D

summergirl

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2005, 17:53:27 »
http://www.freecycle.org/

This is a site where people give stuff away.  Try putting a wanted ad on your  local group and see if anyone can help.
SG

Apple Dumpling

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2005, 19:11:54 »
I use an oil drum, but it was only used for transporting dry goods, in this case components for a local double glazing firm.  The scrap merchant I got it from had a selection.  They were very helpful and able to tell me which drums would be suitable for me.  And it only cost £2!  I doubt if it will last as long as a plastic one though. I would imagine that it would rust but after 18 months it's still looking fine.  :)
Who planted all these weeds?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal