Author Topic: Newby  (Read 3359 times)

summergirl

• Not So New ...
Newby
« on: January 10, 2005, 19:26:49 »
Having been on the waiting list all last year, - rang today to find that I'm 2nd on the list, with plenty of plots to choose from. Hurray.
Will soon be able to stop talking about it and get digging.
Unfortunately, I don't really know what I'm doing, so may have several daft questions!
With regards to choosing a plot, - my list of things to consider is:
neglected or not
flat
position to entrance
obstructions of sun

Any suggestions of considerations that I have not thought about?

Great site - shall have a read through at a later date!

SG

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Newby
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 19:46:01 »
A slight slope is good especially to the south. Entrance? Arrive in style. obstructions of sun,  most plants are like us, they like a bit of shade now and again. But that does not mean standing around and casting a shadow, get on with the work. ;D

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 19:52:17 »
Nearness to water is also something that you want to consider Summer girl.  You dont want to be lugging watering cans all summer do yu ;)
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 20:58:16 »
Nearness to parking is something to consider too. Over the winter my site closes off a lot of the access lanes and I have to lug my stuff for about 300 or 400 yards
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 21:32:40 »
Have a good look at the ground so you know exactly what condition it is in. My plot looked fabulous at the front, soft well dug soil, I only found out later, whilst digging out the weeds, that the back end of the plot housed a greenhouse and shed for many years and the ground is very compacted. I won't be able to grow much on this section this year and it's going to take a lot of work before it's at a reasonable standard. My fault though because I didn't ask and never looked that closely, although it was difficult because that section was covered with black plastic. Also some others have posted on this site with severe drainage problems. Make sure you ask and even better still, take a good look yourself at the entire plot and look under covered sections to see what's there. It may also be useful to know, if it has recently been cultivated, what was growing where, that way you can continue a crop rotation plan. Good luck, it's a great feeling getting your first plot.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Sarah-b

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2005, 10:16:04 »
Nearness to water is very important - but then I'd always take a plot with a shed over nearness to a tap. Any chance of a shed? You can always rig up a water butt later. Have a look at the plots either side of the prospective plot - they should give a fair indication of what you might achieve. And it's really nice to have nieghbours (usually) - rather than be on your lonesome.
You don't really want any big trees overhanging. If you are at the bottom of a slope - a valley? - ask about frost pockets. Some of the plots at our site don't get any sun at all during the darkest months.
Good luck! And give us a full report when you have chosen it!!
Sarah.

summergirl

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2005, 10:47:21 »
Thanks all very much - water is a good point.
Can't wait to get started!

Plottie

• Half Acre
  • MMM , Raspberries !!!
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2005, 10:50:27 »
Congrats on your plot Summergirl......I would second all the advice given so far and like Sarah-b would recommend a plot with a shed if you get the chance of one.
I'd also add that when looking at access it's worth checking the state of the paths from your plot to anywhere you might want to push your barrow.  Some of the tracks on our site are just grass so when it's very wet I struggle to wheel my barrow anywhere. So recently when there was free wood chippings for collection from the car park I had to watch enviously as others helped themselves!!  >:(
I'm just hoping there'll be some left or another delivery when the ground has dried out later in the year!
Good luck and let us know how you get on
Plottie :)

summergirl

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2005, 10:38:04 »
I now have a key and a map of plots to choose from.  Hurrah!
DH is going to come and help choose one on Sunday, as he's going to be helping with the digging.
I had a nice thought that there would be plots that had been dug and just no longer wanted.  Nice try!  All need a lot of work.
The Council will rotavate it, I know lots of you advise just digging but it looks like such hard work. 
I met Bob, very friendly, who wandered round with me telling me who's where. 

I can't wait.

PS Emma-Jane, I'm definitely trying the pineapple!

GardnerJ

• Acre
  • Oh my God I have Allot-Mania!
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2005, 11:19:14 »
congrats!
i asked so many questions when i looked at my plot!
is the future of the site secure?
is there much vandalisim?
how do you get free manure?
is there anyone that can rotivate/strim the plot for you?
can you erect sheds/greenhouses?
is there communal compost bins or do you have to build your own?
can you use a hose?
can you plant trees?
are there any communal fruit trees fo you to pick fruit from? (there is at my site!)
who maintains the paths around the plot?
ooohhh thats about all i can think of!
hope this helps?
Jemma xxx

summergirl

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2005, 12:55:11 »
Thanks for that Gemma.
The future of the site is probably secure for 20 yrs or so (owned by Cemetary).  A couple of years ago they moved the allotments over to another plot of land - are unlikely to move them again.

Hoses are discouraged, but are used by all.  There are greenhouses and sheds galore, that was my main concern.
I have friends who have horses so I'm hoping to get some manure from them, transportation is my only issue.
I was most concerned about friendliness.  But having met one guy who was helpful and nice, my fears have been put to rest a bit.  Also, most of the site looks worked.  Bob says there's usually someone about, which is nice.

Patience is not my strong point - I just want to get going.

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2005, 12:09:46 »
Have fun and enjoy. Big tree by plot is not good. As for compacted, I think I was lucky enough to dig the concrete chunks and roti and put layer of 6-8" mushroom compo all over and roti in. Soil condition was great and still is.
Roti or not is choice and pro`s & con`s with both I had to dig&roti!

Cover what not digging yet if poss to save work later when warmer. Do bit at a time if hard work. Get a square going to see results and enjoy that bit whilst tackling another square.

Near water is good
Access is better
Sheds? ours get broken into so best left open and filled with rubbish!

Good luck.

summergirl

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2005, 16:52:03 »
Well, I now have a plot with a great big trough at the end.  Hurrah!
Also have sheds, but no keys, - need to see if I can get them, presumably from previous owner.
I have exams this week, so have been busy studying.  Next week, the digging starts, though 1st job is to put raspberry canes in garden.
My back is protesting already, but I'll be glad to get going.
Everyone I've met up there has been really friendly, which is great.  I'm sure with their advice (and yours) I'll be well away.
SG

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2005, 17:51:17 »
Hoi Summergirl

Firstly  Good Luck with the Exams. :o

Secondly Good Luck and Success with the New lottie ;D

Thirdly Sorry to hear about the Back.........it comes with the
Lottie..........Not  ;D ;D ;D  really.

Anyway lots of pleasure now you have your Plot. Wish you a Bumper Harvest. :)

Greetings Take Care  Tulip-23   Mike. ;)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2005, 17:52:52 by TULIP-23 »
Sometimes its better to listen than to talk

cookie

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2005, 18:00:16 »
another newby here. our lotties are owned by the local church, and are dirt{???] CHEAP AT £5 a year. no water on site though, and no access apart from a lane. no shed either, so my other half is goin to build one from pallets. the  plots are in a lovely position, south facing, gentle slope, and a view all over town! p.s. anyone else near me, ILMINSTER in somerset?

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2005, 23:37:47 »
£5.00 a year - Gordon Bennet ???  Good luck, though!  All best - Gavin

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2005, 15:57:52 »

Congrats cookie,

£5 per year!! Lucky you...

I have relatives in Frome so know how mild the climate

is - which will also be a bonus.

Goodluck!

P.S. Attach some guttering around shed and a container to collect the

water - do this before the warm (?) weather arrives.

Debsnd

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal