Author Topic: serpente di sicilia  (Read 9240 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: serpente di sicilia
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2011, 08:36:20 »
Fantastic info, as ever from A4Aers  :)

So, that explains the white flowers, thanks Jeannine. Think I'll let it grow over it's netting for now and then the other side and let it ramble  :) But think I'll put in some more props. My friend's little girl will love painting a squash. And to be honest I think I will enjoy helping her  ;D

Cat Lady - thanks for the photos, tell your BIL the Tromba suits him   :D

Here's mine the other week

[attachment=1]

My darling OH has already commented that it looks like a Horses _____ !  ::) I think it will be a "talking point" on our plots this summer  ::)

I haven't tried the Rugosa, yet. I picked one the other day, and we were meant to eat it last night but ended up going out. So maybe tonight.

I ate the 1st Crookneck the other day, and it was delicious, impressed by the taste and texture of that, and I can see what you mean about Avocado in terms of texture

squash are fun  8)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2011, 03:59:32 »
No I didn't paint the ones in the picture, that picture was originally off a seed packet but it is used all over the net now.

There are some stunning pictures on the net but many won't copy so you will have to google.

Have fun.

I agree they do look like horses whatsits, try letting them hang down till they get some length  then lay the fruit on a board it really gets itself in a knot sometimes then..it doesn,t always work but it is fun making them weird.

...and we need pictures at the end of the year.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2011, 07:50:49 »
I had a couple of Tromba climbing up canes a couple of years ago and at one stage provided quite a talking point and a lot of giggles.

Heres one from my gallery, this years are not yet this size, mostly because I keep eating them

I like the idea of painting them.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2011, 08:41:39 »
Digeroo, how young do you eat them?

Here's the flowers from the Serpenete di sicilia the other day

[attachment=1]

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2011, 09:28:46 »
Oh yes, my flowers are exactly like that! They are beautiful! I am going to try eating the squash young, I must say that they look quite tasty in Digeroo's picture. Maybe I will leave a couple to grow and cure as decoratives at the end of the season  ;)
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2011, 18:07:42 »
Don`t mix up the two.

Serpente di Sicilioa is a the gourd, Tromba aka Trombicona is not. Tromba is a wonderful tasting squash, a dual purpose one , can be eaten immature as a summer squash but will keep if mature, Serpents is edible if eaten very immature only after that it iis usually used as decorative.

They are very different.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

pumkinlover

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2011, 18:28:53 »
I've just found "Trombolino" in the organic catalogue- sounds similar description.
Does any trombo.... do the same thing?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2011, 05:22:37 »
 Trombo, Tromba,Trombicino,Trombicona,Trombolino etc etc is a squash that is known by many names depending on the country, but it is not the same as Serpente di Sicilia.

It is dual purpose .

If trained up a trellis it will hang down and grow quite straight and get get three feet if left on the ground it will curl, just the same as  Serpente Di Sicilia, but the taste is far superior.

XX Jeannine

pumkinlover

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2011, 09:27:42 »
Thanks Jeannine  :) I will add to next years must grow list then! I'll grow both ways to see how it does ;)

pumkinlover

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2011, 18:53:10 »
Betty - I love the idea of your longest snake competition- do you mind if I copy the idea for our site next year?

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2011, 19:19:15 »
Betty - I love the idea of your longest snake competition- do you mind if I copy the idea for our site next year?

No problem Anne, good luck with it!
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2011, 05:57:56 »
Wonderful idea ,, we need pictures.

XX Jeanniine

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2011, 10:26:23 »
Oh I am rather disappointed to hear that it is decorative! I usually only grow stuff you can eat! And they are the healthiest looking plants in the garden too. I will try them as baby squash anyway and see what they taste like! Mine is covered in flowers...
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal