Author Topic: serpente di sicilia  (Read 9245 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
serpente di sicilia
« on: July 18, 2011, 15:01:24 »
Hi
its the 1st time I'm growing these, one of those 50p bargains from the Wyevale seed sale. Anyhoo, I noticed the plant that I have labelled up as serpente di sicilia has white-creamy flowers, which seem unusual as most squash/courgettes are bright yellow. Is this normal ?  ;D

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Re: serpente di sicilia
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 15:07:29 »
Yes Ten, white flowers are normal. 

How are you growing it, climbing?
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 15:10:53 »
thanks cat woman  ;D And yes I've got it growing up some netting, but think I'll have to start weaving it in as the netting isn't very high  ::)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 15:22:41 »
Flowers are the best bit. 

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 17:18:03 »
Flowers are the best bit. 

True, and also that they make quite a nice screen.  The snakes themselves are not really worth bothering with, unless you grow them for a 'Longest Snake' competition like we did one year.

[attachment=1]
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 20:53:47 »
 :o  :o  :o

so I should just sit back and enjoy the flowers then  :-X  Also looks like I need to put some more netting/stakes in!!

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 10:07:54 »
OMG!!! I am growing one of these!!! But I thought it was just a normal courgette! I was wondering why it was starting to make a vine! I think I had better put a stake on it and tie it up! Is it really inedible? Surely not. Should you eat it as a tender squash or let it mature?
I found that the flowers are odd - they are on a huge stem, about 15cm long! With the flower at the end.
Seems like I made crap squash choices this year, as I am also growing Turks Turban which has loads of fruit! But opinion differs - someone told me it was a very good eater, others seem to disagree. (Then again I LIKE moneymaker tomatoes so maybe I have odd taste!!)
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 11:11:56 »
how unusual never saw one like it in my life must get some seeds for next year itll amuse the grand kids iam :growing snakes ;D also some of my  squashes /pumpkins is flowering creamy  but lost label but will find when the fruit gets bigger

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 13:00:44 »
Antipodes - it isn't exactly inedible, it's just that there are so many tasty courgettes available so it seems pointless growing this one.

It needs to be eaten small, like a courgette.  It won't store for the winter.
My Sicilian sister-in-law grows it for the ends of the shoots which she uses in a kind of soup.  Maybe they do it in France too?

I've grown Turks Turban in the past but I had great difficulty in actually getting through the skin, it was rock-hard!  They are very decorative though. ;)
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 14:01:57 »
Antipodes - it isn't exactly inedible, it's just that there are so many tasty courgettes available so it seems pointless growing this one.

It needs to be eaten small, like a courgette.  It won't store for the winter.
OK noted. Trouble is I like all squashes! So I guess I will eat it anyway!  I have some striped Italian ones growing too that have a really nice flavour.
My Sicilian sister-in-law grows it for the ends of the shoots which she uses in a kind of soup.  Maybe they do it in France too?
Never seen this veg here! The French are a bit conservative with veg, although posh restaurants are known to serve fried courgette flowers, stuffed. Round courgettes are available here but they are seen as a bit of an oddity.

I've grown Turks Turban in the past but I had great difficulty in actually getting through the skin, it was rock-hard!  They are very decorative though. ;)
Oh since I grew up on Queensland Blue and Jarrahdale pumpkins, that's no worry for me! I'll get out the Crocodile Dundee knife! ("That's not a pumpkin - (brings out massive blue rockhard thing) - THAT's a pumpkin!")
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 14:30:05 »
how unusual never saw one like it in my life must get some seeds for next year itll amuse the grand kids iam :growing snakes ;D also some of my  squashes /pumpkins is flowering creamy  but lost label but will find when the fruit gets bigger

I have plenty left in the packet so could send you some if you like?  ;D

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 16:51:29 »
i would love it ,if you could i love unusual plants of any kind and all quirky things Lil

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 07:36:55 »
Great, pm me your addy  :)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 07:52:54 »
I found serpente di sicilia slightly distasteful.  If you want something unusual but also very tasty I would suggest putting your effort into Tromba di Albenga.  It is great small but also a good keeper, just found one from last year I had forgetten to eat.

They are easier to germinate, produce lots of lovely fruits for me a real star turn.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 15:42:58 »
Oh good cos I'm growing 1 of those as well  ;D  It's looking good at the moment, will it climb?
The Wyevale 50p sale was a great treat last year, also trying Rugosa Fruilana as well.....

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 19:31:23 »
It is actually a gourd, hence the white flowers and it is edible, the secret is to use it when very immature, if left to get to it's mature size it is only good for decoration. The skin at maturity will cure a bit so makes super snakes which can be painted..so it has a few uses.

Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 22:11:35 »
could it be painted and used as a novelty ;pumpkin at halloween the grand kids would love that

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 23:53:02 »
Yes,but grow them on the ground instead of up a trellis, they will grow cooiled like snakes and look fantastic painted. I have a picture somewhere.

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 00:11:45 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 05:22:08 »
Oh good cos I'm growing 1 of those as well  ;D  It's looking good at the moment, will it climb?
The Wyevale 50p sale was a great treat last year, also trying Rugosa Fruilana as well.....

Tromba is really nice Ten and will store for the winter.  I grow that as a climber too.

[attachment=1]

Modelled by my brother-in-law  ;)
[attachment=2]

Rugosa Friulana are one of my favourite courgettes.  The flesh is quite dense, a bit like avocado in texture.  Have you picked any yet?
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 08:23:19 »
i have never seen any thing like those before  and jeannine did you paint those in the picture  love them ;D ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal