Author Topic: Damson sauce meant to be jam - will it keep?  (Read 2575 times)

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
Damson sauce meant to be jam - will it keep?
« on: August 25, 2011, 13:31:30 »
Managed to mess up my damson jam and it is sadly just sauce - 16 jars of it!

Does taste very nice, so could do with some advice on how to stop it going mouldy too quickly. Can anyone help?

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
Re: Damson sauce meant to be jam - will it keep?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 13:33:19 »
Think.it should be fine. Ive had the same with my plum but it tastes yummy:)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 01:52:42 »
If you can/bottle it in a boiling water bath in the correct jars it will last for years or you could remake it by bringing it all back to a full rolling boil and add Liquid Cert which should make it gell XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 10:19:15 »
If you can/bottle it in a boiling water bath in the correct jars it will last for years or you could remake it by bringing it all back to a full rolling boil and add Liquid Cert which should make it gell XX Jeannine

Good idea.  Not sure I have seen Liquid Cert in the shops, but I have seen Silver Spoon brand Pectin sachets.  (no advertising intended whatsoever).  Ask for 'pectin' and see what they have in larger supermarkets.  Sometimes it comes in little bottles.  If you have very underripe apples, you can make your own pectin, there are several recipes on the www.

On the other hand, ice cream with plum sauce sounds good.  There is oriental plum sauce too:  with the addition of a bit of chilli, garlic and some other spices you could make a few jars of this rather exotic condiment to go with roast pork (christmas presents even?)  Again lots of recipes on www.  Bottling is the way to go as Jeannine said.  I have made oriental plum sauce with damsons and it was really nice.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 10:30:22 by galina »

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 17:46:01 »
Certo liquiid comes in bottles in the UK, I have bought it many times.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 07:44:03 »
Thanks for the suggestions and will note for the future but too lazy this time - all jars now in coldest part of the fridge and will just eat asap and hope to beat the mould.

bikegirllisa

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 15:18:42 »
Same thing happened to me last night on my second batch of damson jam - first lot was perfect, really thick and tart and set a treat.

This lot is more like damson compote. And it was my own fault - I overfilled the pan and was to scared to give it the berries on the heat, so it didn't get the proper boil.

I'm going to split it into two lots, reboil with a little more sugar and some lemon juice and see what happens.  In the worst case scenario, I have 6 jars of fantastic damson compote.  In the best, I have 6 jars of tasty damson jam.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal