Author Topic: Broad beans, need ideas for varieties  (Read 2133 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Broad beans, need ideas for varieties
« on: July 13, 2011, 17:54:17 »
Hi, we have decided to plant over wintering broadies on an experimental bed in our community gardens. It would be good to try a variety that isn't usually grown as the seeds will be shared. Does anyone have any ideas for an heirloom one that will autumn sow please.

I have lots of Aquadulce but wanted soemthing different..

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Broad beans, need ideas for varieties
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 18:16:29 »
I think it's only the tougher, and less interesting, ones which will overwinter. That being said, there have to be some alternatives out there somewhere.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 18:20:59 »
So I guess Crimson Flowered is a no no.

Oh well it was just a thought,it will be Aquadulce then.

Tjanks Robert

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 18:26:20 »
I've had a look at the HSL catalogues for the last couple of years, and they don't seem to recommend anything for overwintering. They always seem to have Crimson Flowered.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 18:55:23 »
Round here people go to the local turkish shop and buy the dried ones which are supposed to be used for cooking.  I have no idea what they are but they overwinter well and flourish in the spring.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 19:43:37 »
These Turkish beans sound very interesting.  Aquadulce hardly survive the winter here and if they do the crop is patheic.

Do any of them sell on a web site.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 00:22:59 »
I tried the turkish/greek dried beans sold for making bean soup etc. and I'd say they are noticeably less tender and delicious fresh than the aquadulce types.

In a mild winter I suspect you could get away with growing some of the other white-seeded varieties - 'bunyards exhibition' is supposed to be better and though it is mainly for spring sowing it has a reputation for surviving the worst that March can throw at it.

I haven't tried it in March because the green-seeded varieties are so much better that in a bad year they're worth sowing later (or even re-sowing) in April.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 00:34:12 »
You wont get a problem with what ever variety you choose.
All are equally viable to the same growing problems.

If your soil is clean to start with then your yeild should be good

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 06:09:39 »
Last year I harvested aquadulce which had overwintered and masterpiece which had been spring sown at exactly the same time except the crop of the latter was at least four tmes the crop of the other. 

With a bit of cloching and a March sowin there does not seem to me to be any point in the autumn sowings.  Since they were in the same soil, in some cases the Masterpiece were filling in the gaps.  Did not bother last autumn I don't think many would have survived the -18 anyway, did not miss them.

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 07:35:37 »
May be boring but I grow Aquadulce - from a November sowing started cropping heavily from mid May - bed was heavy duty fleeced through the coldest months but minimum we had was about -8 degrees.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 07:40:31 »
Round here people go to the local turkish shop and buy the dried ones which are supposed to be used for cooking.  I have no idea what they are but they overwinter well and flourish in the spring.

You wouldn't happen to know what they call them Nick?
Jackie

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 10:59:30 »
Shorter ones like The Sutton are often recommended for over-Winter...
If I was looking at HSL Martock would be worth a chance at over-Wintering.. as it is a very old field variety.
If I was just looking for a Broad Bean I'd go for Unwins "Red Epicure"... or HSL Bowland's Beauty.. which throws red and green seed often in the same pod!  :)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 11:18:00 »
I'm not bothering with overwintering ones this year (unless I find half a bag of Aquadulces in my seed drawer).... Express groes so fast and gives a good crop two weeks before Sutton so I don't see the opint.... it became marginal when Sutton came along...

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 12:30:16 »
Bunyard's Exhibition is a heritage variety recommended for Autumn sowing.

I tried it this winter. It did very well, and grew up through the snow and ice of a very severe winter. I find them very tasty and tender beans.

I lost some over winter, whether to pests or cold or natural drop out rate I don't know. I filled the gaps with late winter sown beans and they have helped stretch out the season.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 12:31:12 »

Sorry I don't but when I am next in TFC I'll have a look - The Turkish call them Bakla...
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 22:19:34 »

Sorry I don't but when I am next in TFC I'll have a look - The Turkish call them Bakla...

Thank you. If its what I think they are I will try and grow them...the Turkish restaurants make a fab garlic paste with them.
Jackie

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2011, 10:32:40 »
I'm not sure of your winters, I think they are generally milder than ours? I think Crimson flowered would be worth a shot. I have sown earlier with good results, but find it suits me to sow early January time, starting seed in root-trainers, which helps me guard against mice and then I plant out when large enough. I've found seed sown early do really well in a polytunnel and catch up with autumn sown and less losses.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2011, 11:23:41 »
You could try the type sold as 'Field Bean' for green-manuring. I've not seen any variety name on the packets I've bought, but there probably are named varieties.
It's usually grown as an over-winter green manure, and seems more cold-resistant than 'eating' varieties. The shoots are a tasty treat, and the beans seem identical to normal broad beans. The crop is grown commercially as cattle feed, and apparently for export (dried) to the middle east where it is considered good fare for humans.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2011, 12:24:10 »
Franchi have one that is said to overwinter  I have grown them in spting and got good results.  Tend to eat them small and young.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal