Author Topic: 36 years old and can't get served with alcohol!?!?  (Read 2770 times)

lisaparkin

• Acre
36 years old and can't get served with alcohol!?!?
« on: July 16, 2011, 21:33:28 »
I went to Morrisons earlier, my 19 year old daughter came with me as usual, I wasn't doing a big weekly shop just a few bits, cider, blue wicked, pasta, salad and I couldn't buy the alcohol because my daughter had no I.d with her >:( >:( >:(

I argued it was my shopping and I was paying for it!!! The woman then said I might be buying it for my daughter ??? ???  I told her again 'my shopping I'm paying, it's mine' and also said 'what the hell am I suppose to do, put my daughter in the car, walk back round the store, and shop again'  I was told no I couldn't get served because I still could be buying it for my daughter!!!!!

I stormed, off not happy, got home and could've kick myself for not standing my ground more or demanding to speak to someone 'higher up' >:( >:(

mind you, maybe good I walked out because I think I wouldve lost it big time!!!!

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: 36 years old and can't get served with alcohol!?!?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 21:45:19 »
My 32 year old daughter is asked for ID. She recently tried to buy a tin of cider & kidney beans. She told them she didn't think underage drinkers would buy the 2 items together. They still wouldn't serve her ::). I've told her to enjoy it while she can ;D.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 21:55:31 »
I tried to buy a a digging spade recently and there was a lad standing near me and they wanted proof of he was over 18.    I said he was nothing to do with me.  Never seen him before but they would not budge.  So I went round again and went to the self service till, it asked me to confirm my date of birth and it was fine.  Does this mean you are not allowed to drink or dig if you have children?

zigzig

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 21:58:25 »
I saw the same thing in a supermarket I wont name. Where a woman who was certainly older than you wanted to buy beer. She was with a lad who called her nanna aged about 13 and the girl at the till refused to sell them the four pack because he had loaded it and all her other shopping from the trolley on to the conveyer belt. Seems he went with her to help her carry her shopping because she had arthur-right- us.

I thought you had to be over 18 to buy booze but I see that a lot of places are asking people to be over 21 and even 25 in some cases. Fair enough but it is not up to the staff to decide who might drink the stuff.  Who so ever pays for the goods is responsible for them.

What ever next? You can not buy booze if you have a baby in the trolley?

The one I think is brilliant is the marking on chocolates with an alcohol filling 'you can not buy under the age of 18' Yet they are allowed to be sold in shops which do not have a license for selling alcohol.

Order your booze and other stuff on line and get it delivered. Much easier.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 23:04:35 »
I would have demanded to see the Manager. Years ago my Dad was decorating at home and came to Sainsburys to pick my Mum up. He didn't bother to change out of his decorating clothes. while he was waiting for Mum to finish her shopping a supermarket assistant asked my Dad to leave telling him that Sainsburys didn't allow people like him in their store. My dad explained that he has been decorating and also that he had been a Sainburys customer for years. The supermarket assistant told him again to get out. He asked to see the Manager. To cut a long story short the Manager offered my Dad a lot of money as an apology. ( In today's world people sue for such things).
Tell the Manager they don't always know what is going on in their own store.

dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 23:05:49 »
Hi all - I have just registered although have had a plot for over 30 years.   I used to work for another large supermarket until I retired 3 months ago.   We had to ask for ID if the person buying the alcohol looked under 25 or if someone older was being accompanied by someone under 25.   Obviously common sense has to prevail if for example a mother has her brood with her.   If it was obvious it was the parents buying then I would not bother with ID for sons and daughters.   Most of our customers we knew.   Just before I left, I had a really nasty chap who was in the armed services who started to argue so he had 2 choices - ID and get booze or argue and go without.   Some time ago, I had a run in with a young policeman who thought his warrant card was sufficient ID - wrong.   The council, who issue the alcohol licence, and the police do test purchases to ensure we check.   If we strayed, we received an £80 fine, the store could lose their licence and we also had a very unpleasant letter from the company.   We did have one customer who was 37 but did not look more than half that - she said she got used to being asked.   One day she came in with her 18 year old daughter - you could mistake them for twins.   I hope this has helped, although I must say that there are some checkout operators who push the ID thing too far.

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 23:10:57 »
That does seem over the top! I do get asked for ID occassionally and I am 30 LOL

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 06:14:38 »
I was asked to provide ID as I did not look eighteen, I said thanks I am not.
As I am over fifty and done more than just worked in shops, young tyke said they could not serve me, to which I responded no problem I will go to another store and they shall have my custom. :-\

Got them back now to put some tread on them

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 08:22:13 »
I understand that there are rules and the stores can get fined for breaking them.  But would seem that some shop assistants do not understand the rules.  I am over 60 so hardly a marginal case. 

I just found it odd for a spade since you can  get a hand adze in the 99p shop. 

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 16:01:03 »
in the USA it is now common practice to card every one for alcohol,cigarette and r rated movies no matter what age you are.  The fine for venders  alcohol violations is over $5000/£3100 minimum per incident. the easiest policy is card ever one. One family friend is 70 is card every time she buys wine.

GeeGee

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 18:05:34 »
Both my daugthers, 30 and 26, get ID without fail 99% of the time. I tell them its because they inherited good genes from their mother!  :P

The younger one was ID the other day and she smiled. The cashier looked at her with a fair amount of suspicion, but then when daughter handed over her ID the cashier said 'oh now I know why you were smiling.

I agree ID in general is not a bad thing, but there are some real hitlers/jobs worths out there who take the ID scenario far to far and can be quite OTT, darn right stupid and insulting.

Unfortunately, I haven't been asked for ID for a least 5 yrs now.  :'(

bikegirllisa

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 20:55:26 »
I'd be bloody delighted to get asked for id.

daisyandjim

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 11:56:45 »
Try being asked for ID when buying a pack of value 99p teaspoons!! The cashier had to ask why i wanted them?!
I thought she was joking...but no. Apparently it was to do with drugs......

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 12:56:14 »
Things are a wee bit too stringent these days but I do really feel for the cashiers in places which sell age restricted items.

I was one of them!  Quite a few years back, I sold alcohol to an underage person who was sent in on purpose to test the staff of the shop I worked in (supermarket) and as soon as the transaction finished I was whipped off my till, marched downstairs and arrested by the police.  I was asked over and over why I'd sold alcohol to an underage person (you can imagine my response; I won't repeat it here, lol) Three things still bug me about that day: How unfair to set people up (I know the arguments) How I didn't ask for ID when usually I would ask anyone and everyone and lastly, how unsupportive my employers were.  Anyway, to cut a long story short, the police dropped the charges but hit me with a hefty fine as I knew they would and the company disciplined me - as I knew they would.  From that day onwards I caused havoc from my till and asked every single person buying alcohol for ID.  Even when I knew they were way past the age limit.  Time and time again the customer would call a supervisor to override me and all I kept saying was, 'I'm following the company rules, I'm not going to get in trouble again' Two good things to come out of it though; I left a short while after it happened to the job I'm in now and also that my colleagues all clubbed together and paid my fine for me which was very overwhelming - management didn't like that, as they felt I needed to be taught a lesson and suffer a bit more, LOL! ;D ;D

Anyway, just sayin', maybe you're all being ID'd by a cashier who got caught out like me and doesn't want it to happen again ;D ;)

It does make me laugh though that my family have lived in our current location for just under twenty years and been using our local corner shop in all that time but they still won't serve my son alcohol or cigarettes without his ID and he's nearly 26 now!

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 13:11:22 »
Oh Sam Louise how could you say they are being over cautious ;), that statement could burst a lot of bubbles ;D ;D ;D.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal