Author Topic: Fennel  (Read 4516 times)

Gadget

• Acre
  • Getting dug in, Hertford
Fennel
« on: July 15, 2011, 14:54:36 »
Hi all, I grew some fennel and I ahve realised it was the herb type not the bulb type, which is fine as I will let it go to seed and use it in cooking. :)

Can anyone tell me what seeds I need to get for next year so that I do have the bulb variety and any recommendations of types? ???

Thank you.
 ;D

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: Fennel
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 15:41:48 »
it's Florence fennel you want. Can't think of any varieties to recommend though! >:(

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 20:17:39 »
Hi all, I grew some fennel and I ahve realised it was the herb type not the bulb type, which is fine as I will let it go to seed and use it in cooking. :)

Can anyone tell me what seeds I need to get for next year so that I do have the bulb variety and any recommendations of types? ???

Thank you.
 ;D

The sort you have produces a tap root like a carrot, i surmise this root must be eatable, but ive never tried Does anyoen know how to cook it ?. I have a HUGE patch of it i n a massive wooden planter, i love the fluffy foilage, and the massive bag of seeds it creates every year i use in cooking
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 20:39:12 »

Thank you.
 ;D
Argh!  Fennel is a nasty weed if you let it self-seed as it germinates very well and the seedlings send down a great tap root making it really difficult to get out.  One's lovely (especially the bronze one), but don't let it set seed.

You need florence fennel next year.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 20:51:10 »
I grow `rudy` which does well on my very light soil. I have tried zefa fino but it just bolts as soon as it`s looked at.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 20:54:16 »
I don't think it's to late to sow fennel seed.

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 21:33:24 »
i think the RHS say the cut off date for sowing is up to the last week in July. Then it's just down to the weather, but don't expect uber bulbs.

Gadget

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 11:10:18 »
It does have a massive tap root, I think that I may get some seeds for Florence Fennel and see how I get on.

Thank you for all your advice. :)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 11:16:21 »
Oh yes definitely do NOT let herb fennel self seed! You will have it EVERYWHERE and it is a bartsfard to get rid of! The root breaks off and it germinates all over the place. It is very invasive. I now hate the stuff, have been trying to get rid of it all for the last 2 years!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Gadget

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 11:17:05 »
Oh yes definitely do NOT let herb fennel self seed! You will have it EVERYWHERE and it is a bartsfard to get rid of! The root breaks off and it germinates all over the place. It is very invasive. I now hate the stuff, have been trying to get rid of it all for the last 2 years!

No good  ???

Gadget

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 11:18:43 »
I will dig the lot up tonight when I get home, not liking the sound of rampantness of the plant...I have enough blimming problems with me nettles..  :)

fi

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 11:24:30 »
Sorry to differ,  but it's not that bad to dig up just get it early enough when small (if self seeded) if left you will attract many beneficial insects.

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 11:27:31 »
yes, when its three feet high  it has a tap root like a carrot that pulls out easily. Its not a problem.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 11:46:16 »
I don't find bronze fennel troublesome at all..?..yes..it does self seed everywhere but the foliage doesn't really cast a shade for other plants..I don't see a problem...they are not 'hungry or thirsty' plants neither and grow happily even in 'waste' bits of land.
I do admit it..I've got it all over but when I walk over them the is such a delicious smell in the air...I've even thought of making some tea out of it..but aniseed flavour just don't 'do it' to me..

fi

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 11:50:22 »
Previous message badly written, you won't personally attract the insects. but the umbellifer flowers of the fennel will!!

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 11:55:48 »
Goodlife. Fennel tea is good for hormones. I think it's a balancer. Not that you are unbalanced my dear ;D.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 12:07:01 »
Nice to know that..but what if it does opposite..that would just my luck.. ::) OH is having hard time enough with me as it is.. :o ;D..top that with hormones all over the place more than once a month and I'll be left to live alone or I'll be digging really deep 'pumpkin pit'..6ft deep for 'composting' reasons... :-X
It might be safer to just keep sniffing the things.. ;) ;D

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 12:25:38 »
I am growing Foothergills. "Di Firenze" and its looking good. Didn't sow it too early so up to yet it hasn't bolted.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2011, 10:17:00 »
I find the tap root is really hard to get out.  Just sharing my experience. I would not sow it again as I found it too hard to get rid of. Of course if you keep it rigourously under control, maybe it would be OK. It wouldn't be my choice of flowers to attract insects though!

I was reading that you should sow Bulb Fennel later (like, now!) to avoid it bolting, Think it was Alys Fowler that said this... None of mine will eat it so I don't grow it myself.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2011, 10:39:16 »
there's an old Celtic saying that if a man can walk past a clump of fennel without his heart singing with joy, then there's no saying what kind of mischief he'll get up to. But that's the Welsh for you.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal