Author Topic: school visit  (Read 1834 times)

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
school visit
« on: July 13, 2011, 21:39:25 »
As a result of my putting some lottie photos on my Facebook page, I've had a request from an ex-colleague (I taught in a special school before retiring 3 years ago) to bring her class to visit our humble but very pretty plot.  They're coming tomorrow afternoon.  I'm so happy at the thought of showing them how to firkle for potatoes, and am hoping to get some hands on weeding help too!  I'll report back when it's over!

betula

• Hectare
Re: school visit
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 21:58:57 »
Good luck,hope you enjoy it. :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 22:57:57 »
Sounds great... hope you all have a good day...  :)

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 18:38:38 »
All went well-nobody was stung, tripped over anything and soil remains intact!  They helped with watering, weeding and digging up potatoes.  They matched the vegetables to the flower seed packets and ate peas straight out of the pod.  It was a lovely visit by some very special children and their teachers and carers.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 20:19:30 »
Glad it all went well.     ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 20:26:10 »
Sounds like fun was had by all ;D.

lavenderlux

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 22:24:38 »
We have visits to our site by pupils with special and additional needs and they love it and seem to get so much pleasure from their visits and we love having them visit.
We've made some wheelchair height raised beds for them and this Summer one group has been coming regularly on a Wednesday morning and they've had some wonderful crops - masses of peas, strawberries, onions and shallots, sweet pea flowers to pick - on their next visit - their last - we'll be harvesting potatoes.  They will be having a double session with us next week, as their science teacher is going to join them and they will be carryingout a 'bug hunt'

One of the things they like doing is cutting the lawn area which adjoins their plot - my husband (who is our field warden and looks after field maintenance) has made two old Ransome Ajax cylinder mowers very free running, there's so much demand for cutting the grass, that their time on this is limited - and we're on the look out for some additional mowers! 
It was a visit a couple of years ago by one of the groups that one of the boys saw my husband using a powered mower and pointed to a nearby Ajax and indicated he wanted a go, so he was allowed to, and then they all wanted a turn, even those in wheelchairs!  On leaving he asked us if could come back to 'hoover the lawn again'

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal