Author Topic: Saffron crocuses  (Read 985 times)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Saffron crocuses
« on: July 15, 2011, 13:55:12 »
I've been given some Saffron corcus bulbs (little ones) and am wondering what sort of regime they need.... IIRC they should be going in soon, do they need grit (would be good if they do cos my soil is like builders ballast) adn can they go in pots (ditto useful...)

chrisc

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: Saffron crocuses
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 14:16:48 »
"A good bloomer, the saffron crocus needs well drained, rich soil in a sunny but sheltered location. It it a reliable producer, creating its best crops during hot summers. If you would like more information on growing and using saffron, please review my article: Grow Saffron"

http://theherbgardener.blogspot.com/2008/01/growing-your-own-saffron.html

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 14:17:09 »
Ohh..I'm waiting my order to arrive soon too.. ;D
Yes they can go into pots/planters and actually you may get more reliable crop that way.
I'm going to grow mine in long planters soil based compost and loads of added sand and bit of grit..they like their moisture but good drainage too...and like good 'sun trap' position.
The program I saw about growing them..they were growing in quite poor ground with lot of stones and sand..each small bed was drenced around and watered by allowing these drences to fill up with water like river system.
The bulbs themselves were growing in raised ground so their roots were in moist but the bulbs/surface was quite dry.
So sounds like ideal pot crop with deep trays underneath for watering..and if weather turns too wet closer the flowerin time they can be lifted in GH.
What I also noticed in that program...there were no competion from other plants/weeds. It was all just this poor looking ground and just crocuses poking out the surfaces.

pumkinlover

fi

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 10:35:52 »
I put my crocuses in last year they only produced leaves. is this normal for the first year. the site is open and by chance it was a gritty spot where i put them. or do they not suit there and need to go in pots? cos I'd really like to make some paella with saffron!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 13:17:34 »
OK then it looks like I'll be planting them out soon in a cold frame in pots of my gravelly rubbish soil with a bit of extra compost in it, thjey won't flower this year, the bulbs are tiny adn I know they have to be a bit bigger, but I seem to have plenty of them so hopefully in a year or  two....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal