Author Topic: Growing Dahlias in pots  (Read 3127 times)

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
Growing Dahlias in pots
« on: July 10, 2011, 21:56:33 »
I have bought some new dahlias from Hampton Court this week and as I don't want them to become slug fodder on the allotment I am planning to grow them in pots on the garden.
I have never grown thm in pots before and would love some advice - what is the best growing medium, compost/manure etc?
And can I leave them in the pots overwinter in the greenhouse? I have lost some of my dahlias on the allotment due to the cold winter last year and would like these new ones to survive!

Toadspawn

• Acre
Re: Growing Dahlias in pots
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 23:06:39 »
I have grown Dahlias successfully in large pots (2 gal builders type black buckets with holes drilled in the bottom) in multi-purpose compost. They will need feeding and lots of water. OK to be left in the pots in the GH overwinter as long as the temperatures do not go low enough to freeze the compost. I found it preferable to lift the tubers, remove the compost and put them in carrier bags from a supermarket and store under a dressing table in the bedroom. They can be separated into segments and repoted in the spring.
Scatter slug pellets around them as aprecaution.

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 08:23:46 »
iam growing mine in 19"square pot and multicompost they were half price ones from £1 shop 6 for a quid and their doing ok not flowering yet as they went in late hence half price

Barkie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 09:47:52 »
Same as Toadspawn just about. Multipurpose compost in a pot big enough to space out however many, watered as necessary. Rather than worry about them being eaten by slugs protect them. Lifted and cleaned dry of compost, stored out of frost in dry compost in a carrier bag on a shelf in the brick outhouse/shed.

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 17:38:37 »
Many thanks for all your advice - will go and pot them up and then go on slug patrol!!

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 09:17:36 »
Just an after thought,
Watch out for wood lice getting into the pots when overwintering, my dad bless him was always looking at the bottom of his pots to make sure they did not get in.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 20:46:18 »
Vine weevil like them too. How do you think I know? ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal