Author Topic: Am I the only one who thinks this is dangerous?  (Read 8128 times)

zigzig

• Acre
Re: Am I the only one who thinks this is dangerous?
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2011, 22:51:32 »
It has started an argument in our house. We can not find  an answer to on the internet.

We know when motorways were first introduced there was no speed limit at all.

People, if they had a bike or car which would use it,  the 'Ton Up'. Was the thing. Simon Dee used to talk about it on his show on TV. Too young to remember you lot.

But exactly what year was the speed limit on motorways introduced?

It must have been some time in the 1960s. It was not long after the M1 because so many 'incidents' had happened.

Most people do manage to get around unscathed doing dangerous things. That is true but in the event of an accident or incident more people have a better chance of survival if they are wearing protection such as protective head gear or seat belts.

Lots of us here are old enough to remember the days when it was thought of as cissy to wear protection of any kind and seat belts in cars had not been invented.

There were less vehicles on the road of course but there were other dangers.

Vehicles which were unfit to be there (the MOT got rid of them) then there were those which belched black smoke.

I suggest more people in the past like bus and lorry drivers have died a slow death from the exhaust fumes from vehicles than smoking.

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2011, 23:04:12 »
Temporally introduced in 1965 became law in 1967
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

zigzig

• Acre
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2011, 23:20:22 »
1965/67 was the estimate we had come to so that is a draw for the argument.  Thanks

I rather recall there was an interview with Norman Wisdom  on TV in the 1980/90s who lived on the Isle of Man and said he liked to drive his car fast and the Island did not have a speed limit unlike mainland UK.

Mind, we have been doing 60-70 on the motorways many times and been passed by cars which made us feel like we  were stationary. Heaven only knows what speed they were doing.

Never see speed camera signs on the motorway. Are there any speed cameras there?

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2011, 00:14:13 »
Are there any speed cameras there?

Yes they are called average speed cameras usually big yellow jobbies.I drive or ride my bike at well over the speed limit on motorways and as I do it when it is safe to do so, I don't get tickets. I have even overtaken police vehicles without a pull. They don't bother if you look and act confident. There is no need for a speed limit on motorways more a need for an age limit. Read all  about it in my obituary ;D

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2011, 05:09:15 »
back to the OP........so what did you do Betty?

I haven't seen the man and child since.  I thought they might live in my road and I've looked out for it every day but I haven't seen it.

Judging by the response from almost everyone here, I am not alone in thinking it's dangerous so hopefully someone has pointed out the danger to the man.

I should be meeting with our local neighbourhood police on another matter soon so I will mention it to them and see what they say.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal