Author Topic: FAO SHIRL & OTHER HOUSE BUNNY OWNERS  (Read 2819 times)

Lishka

• Acre
FAO SHIRL & OTHER HOUSE BUNNY OWNERS
« on: July 11, 2011, 20:39:38 »
Putting this here cos I don't want the post missed :)

A friend's daughter wants a career working with animals. For her work experience she couldn't get a placing with a vet practice, shelter, etc. and so has taken a job in a pet shop and is starting her second week there.

There's a 5month old male rabbit she and her mum would like to home. Poor thing is living its life in a cage in a room at the back of the shop - it has a 'wonky' back leg and the customers object to seeing it :-\

With them, it will be an indoor rabbit. They have a bungalow with large rooms and a brill conservatory. They already have 2 cats and a couple of fancy rats.

Although they're reading up all they can about housing rabbits, I said I'd ask here for any tips or pointers. Although it will have a cage I sortov thought that a rabbit will make that its home base in time and be able to just, well, hop around, returning to its cage when it wants? Or do they have to be kept in their cage and taken out under supervision? What about toilet training? I think I'd heard that they can be trained to use a litter tray? My friend and her daughter have already found a place which sells bunny nappies! Apparently you buy a nappy (different sizes available) and boxes of disposable nappy liners. Honestly, you couldn't make it up ::) Food - the pet shop will sell them whatever and they will buy salad stuff/fruit etc. I suppose. Is there anything rabbits particularly like, foods they really mustn't eat? Of course, I'll be able to take whatever I can from my garden plottie as well - any particular no-no's there?

And, finally, anything else you can think of to settle the little thing in, etc?

Ah well, seems I'm going to be an auntie again. Getting quite excited ;D

Hector

• Hectare
Re: FAO SHIRL & OTHER HOUSE BUNNY OWNERS
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 21:54:34 »
We had a house rabbit until he passed away. Thesesites might help...most important thing is cover cables....
http://www.barneyandjemima.co.uk/care/house.html

http://www.rabbit.org/behavior/index.html
Jackie

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 07:18:43 »
Rabbits United Forum. is a good site. They have topics on every situation. The rabbit could be free all of the time if there is nothing that will hurt the rabbit or visa versa. Rabbits will use a litter tray to pee in but their droppings just fall where they are. They are dry so don't mark anything.
On the Rabbits United Forum you will get a list of what to feed and what not to. In they eat grass so a grass based pellet is really all they need. These mixed feeds just promote selective feeding and this causes us problems.Rather like us going to Maccies everyday.
Have a look at the forum and you will find all the info you need
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Lishka

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 14:31:27 »
Thanks both for your replies 8)

If my friend and her daughter haven't already picked up un the forums you've mentioned, I'll pass them on. Your remark about rabbits using a litter tray for wee, Shirl, is just the sort of thing I was hoping for.

I asked the same question on another site & am getting a good response of anecdotes which is keeping me amused - they really are great characters, aren't they? ;D

Again, thanks.

Lish

Lishka

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 13:18:12 »
I thought I'd give you an update.

I'm now a devoted auntie to a Nethie bunny named Bugsy (OK the petshop named him :-\) He's little and grey/white and so, so lovely. At home with his Proppa Family, after being stuck in a cage out of sight in the storeroom of a shop for 4+months, he's flourished and attached to his Mum = his rescuer from the pet shop. He'll lie in her arms like a babe, on his back with his little front paws crossed as if in prayer, sigh, then sleep.........ahhhh. And I didn't know that they'll do licky-kisses to the Favoured One like a cat? Can you tell I'm completely besotted by my nephew? His wonky splayed-out back leg has strengthened enormously with all the exercise he has and he plays chase with Lily, one of their cats.SO amusing to watch the two of them at play on the lawn of the bungalow yesterday. Bless. Their other cat, Geoffrey (Mr.Grumps, huh!) tolerates him. Apart from 'allowing' Bugsiy to cuddle up for naps together(!) he otherwise doesn't deign to acknowledge his existence ;D

Now, a question = I believe they enjoy applewood to chew? Would it be OK if I strip a large piece of bark off my near-dead apple tree for him? I'll take it round on Monday if you OK it.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 14:02:52 »
I have heard that rabbits do like apple wood but have never tried it myself. I also know that they eat it in the wild. You can buy apple wood treats but I think that they have probably been treated.

Rabbit Rehome - Make Your Own Rabbit Toys
www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/budgettoys.asp

This link may help you Lish
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 14:05:16 by shirlton »
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Lishka

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 21:18:26 »

Rabbit Rehome - Make Your Own Rabbit Toys
www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/budgettoys.asp

This link may help you Lish

That's great Shirl, thank you. 8) I've passed it on. Spect the girl will be busy doing Blue Peter-type things with cardboard boxes and double-sided sticky tape all summer now ;D

Lish X

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal