Author Topic: Aubergines  (Read 1223 times)

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Aubergines
« on: July 12, 2011, 10:08:52 »
I have three lovely healthy, green, two feet tall plants in pots in the GH. They show no sign of flowers yet. Is it late? Where did I go wrong? Any advice?

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Re: Aubergines
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 10:30:08 »
Mine are outdoors, sowed in February! And I am only just now getting flowers! So don't think it's too late. Once the fruit start, they grow pretty quickly.
I love aubergine flowers, they are the most beautiful on the veg plants, such a lovely purple colour.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 12:17:59 »
We have only just got flowers here Katy  :)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 16:23:30 »
from what I understand about Aubergines, they are slow starters. Mine have had a few flowers, but no signs yet of the fruit!

Uncle_Filthster

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 21:18:22 »
I got a couple of moneymaker plants to try as I've never tried growing aubergine before.  Both are about 18" tall and produced their first flowers last week.  I noticed there were plenty of new flowers forming on them too today so hopefully I'll have a fruit or two.

queenbee

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 22:25:15 »
Aubergines need a long growing period. Mine are flowering and one or two have small fruit forming, a bit like tomatoes behind the flower. I have tried to grow them before and they have failed, however, I have an old gardening book that recommends that at 12 inches high pinch out the tip and only allow five flowers on each plant. It seems to be working as I now have a better result than previous years. Worth a try. 
Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

vitruvius8

• Quarter Acre
  • Walled Garden, North Wales
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 23:57:08 »
I have 2 plants in the greenhouse and 2 in the polytunnel, never grown them before so just let them do their thing! got good sized fruit on both !!

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 00:33:44 »
Aubergines need a long growing period. Mine are flowering and one or two have small fruit forming, a bit like tomatoes behind the flower. I have tried to grow them before and they have failed, however, I have an old gardening book that recommends that at 12 inches high pinch out the tip and only allow five flowers on each plant. It seems to be working as I now have a better result than previous years. Worth a try. 

If you are growing small-fruited kinds you don't need to thin the flowers as much - though the main advantage is that you don't  lose as much if some get nibbled - eggfruit and baskets come to mind.

In a bad year you might only get one big fruit per plant - and if you lose that it is most irritating...

In a really bad year (2007, 2008) you might get one small fruit from 'slim jim' and bugger-all from 'long black'.

Slim jim is so ornamental that you haven't wasted your time even if you get nothing.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 07:39:28 »
Caliope is very pretty (purple/cream stripes) and I find quite prolific but only in a non-humid sunny greenhouse. Never bother with any special pollination, pinching out or thinning fruits. Already some just about big enough to eat.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal