Author Topic: Tasteless Beetroot  (Read 1648 times)

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Tasteless Beetroot
« on: July 07, 2011, 17:10:12 »
Pulled my first golf-ball-sized bolthardy the other day and am disappointed with their lack of flavour.  Am I missing something?
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Gadget

• Acre
  • Getting dug in, Hertford
Re: Tasteless Beetroot
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 17:16:30 »
Pulled my first golf-ball-sized bolthardy the other day and am disappointed with their lack of flavour.  Am I missing something?

I have bolthardy but I have let them get to the size of a lemon, I tend to roast mine as it brings out the best flavour, then I pickle them.  8)

bionear2

• Half Acre
  • Wigston, Leics
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 17:18:50 »
I found young Boltardy tasteless at the golf ball stage. Suppose it depends on how you like them to taste., but I found mature  traditional varieties sometimes a bit earthy. That was OK for me but it puts some people off.
I now grow Detroit2, which has a clean sweet taste from golf-ball to cricket-ball!
Why plant rows of 24 lettuces??

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 09:42:32 »
I know it's fashionable to eat beetroot very small, but I am not sure that it is meant to be eaten like that! A good beetroot should fit in your whole hand! At least here that seems to be the rule.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal