Author Topic: will these chicks lay  (Read 3771 times)

steve76

• Acre
will these chicks lay
« on: July 06, 2011, 18:41:38 »
Hi all
 I was given 5, 9 week old chicks today, they come from a place a friend was doing some building work at where they hatch eggs for meat birds, These were being got rid off as they were not white and he was told they would be no good for meat birds, normally they would go for pet food he was told, so he asked if he could have some, thinking of me as i give him surplus eggs.
My question is as long as there all females will they lay eggs? and how do the breeders no they will be no good for meat by the colour of there feathers???

Any advise most welcome as still very new to chicken keeping.

Thanks Steve.

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
Re: will these chicks lay
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 10:24:16 »
Hi Steve
Many of the meat birds were duel purpose but unless you know what breed they are you cant say for certain. Its likley that they will lay eggs of good size but its the frequency that is the uncertain bit.

But if you are willing to give them a good home then the eggs are just a bonus. Bear in mind that it is likley that becuase they build lots of protien with the food they eat quickly that they will only make eggs when they have extra food or energy spare so once they are 22 weeks expereiment with extra feeds to see if you can influence laying frequency.

Im sure an expert will be along soon. Knowing the breed would be very helpful though then you could just look them up.

good luck x sunloving

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 10:45:11 »
Ohh..somebody has been lucky with the gifts.. ;D

Yes..all female chickens do lay eggs..but they have to be in right age to do so...depending of breed they becoming to laying age around 18-21 weeks.
At the moment you have to grow your girls into strong and healthy layers..so now you need to feed them with growers meal or pellers and keep them on that food untill they are around 15 weeks old..and then start gradually introducing into layers meal or pellets.
The feather colour is dependent of the breed and breeders know what to expect from their selected type..anything out of ordinary is rejected as there is no guarantee that they would perform as they expect...for commercial growers every penny counts. Each chick may cost only few pennies for them..but growing them into adult size would cost them pounds and then finding that they are not up to standard, all the money spent for food, time, space, work and medication would all been wasted.
Hopefully you are having pleasure out of your girls for years to come..
Let us know how you get on..and don't be afraid dropping some questions if in need.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 11:09:49 »
I have 6 non layers ATM ::) ::) ::). It's a good job we're not farmers ;D.

lavenderlux

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 11:44:09 »
If they are females then they will lay, but the egg laying will not be as high as a breed selected for egg laying, as they have been bred for 'meat'.
A few years ago we used to get surplus fertilizer eggs given to us at our site (the breeder had a contract to supply x number of fertile eggs for hatching for meat and anything more than his contract went to landfill - until he found us - and the eggs are fine for eating)
One of our plot holders hatched five of the eggs in a brooder, three were hens and they produce eggs - these three were quite characters as being on the plump side to run - when food is put into the pen (they are with other hens) - they have to put their wings out and look so comical.  They are very healthy girls, much loved by visiting school children who love to hear the story about how they are lucky hens

steve76

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 16:38:37 »
Hi all
Thanks for the replies, as always you have such knowledge, I got in touch with my mate today and he said the breed is "Cobb" only info i can find on these is growing them for the table...
The reason they get rid of them he was saying is as you say goodlife they may not grow as expected, and sometimes as they are a diffrent colour they stand out so may get attacked by the others.

He asked if i wanted more :o :o think i have enough with my 5 others as well ;D

Was shocked to hear that these birds are ready for the table in 29 days :o in there commercial life.

If any one has any info on the breed all will help as  all i can find is growing them for the table.

Thanks for your help so far
Steve.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 17:02:31 »
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 17:05:30 by goodlife »

MissBaritone

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 11:15:35 »
Hi all
Thanks for the replies, as always you have such knowledge, I got in touch with my mate today and he said the breed is "Cobb" only info i can find on these is growing them for the table...
The reason they get rid of them he was saying is as you say goodlife they may not grow as expected, and sometimes as they are a diffrent colour they stand out so may get attacked by the others.

He asked if i wanted more :o :o think i have enough with my 5 others as well ;D

Was shocked to hear that these birds are ready for the table in 29 days :o in there commercial life.

If any one has any info on the breed all will help as  all i can find is growing them for the table.

Thanks for your help so far
Steve.

Where are you Steve? I would quite happily take on a couple moreif you're in my area

steve76

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 07:40:50 »
Hi
I'm just out side oxford, My mate finished the work at the place for now but he does get up there at least once every couple months for maintenance.

MissBaritone

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 07:46:09 »
Thanks but I'm up in Hartlepool so it's a bit far away but well done on you saving a few of them

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 19:26:49 »
Hello Michelle! It is sparkling_quavers here!

MissBaritone

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 19:52:39 »

Rachel you get everywhere. Are you still playing?

luckydog

• Half Acre
  • Montgomeryshire
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 13:26:27 »

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 08:16:17 »

Rachel you get everywhere. Are you still playing?

Nope (shock horror). left the band about 2.5 years ago (time flies). I was just doing too much so I am taking a break.

steve76

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 21:03:38 »
Hi all
 A little up date all 5 are doing well, BUT my god they do they eat they are MASIVE, and they now rule the roost.
Noticed i made a mistake on my original thread they were 9 days old not weeks :-[

I have lost 2 of my ex bats a week apart this was  approx 4 weeks ago now, others seem all healthy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal