Author Topic: Can anyone identify this fungus please  (Read 1905 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Can anyone identify this fungus please
« on: July 14, 2011, 07:48:10 »
Yer tis.

Digeroo

• Hectare
Re: Can anyone identify this fungus please
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 07:51:52 »
And another

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 08:51:18 »
Sorry dear..there is lot of those sort of fungi in my book and without proper examination they are really difficult to tell apart...and most of them don't have common names neither.
But what I can tell that most likely they are not edible...they don't do any harm to your plants..they feed on the shredded bits in your compost..wood.. ::)
But I drop few names that you could look for if you are interested...Tremella foliacea..Peziza family have lot of those sorts and Otidea.. ::)
Your photos are really good..but recognizing fungi from picture..unless very distinctive looking..can be so difficult..often difference from one to other can be something like colour of spores...and colour of fungi in books can be totally different in nature..growing conditions makes difference too..
..bit like 'needle in the haystack' situation.. ;)
But the second one I think I've had myself in pots..are they quite 'solid' to feel..unlike the first one that will break easily?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 09:14:11 by goodlife »

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 09:12:14 »
Nice pictures, Digeroo. Presumably you've already got as far as "a cup fungus of some sort". Phillips has a few pages of them but I'd say almost certainly a Peziza of some sort. If you feel like digging one up & taking a photo from the side it might help, although none appear to be edible.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 09:51:38 »
Many thanks I was really wetting myself incase it was some kind of honey fungus.

Nice pictures, Digeroo.
  New camera.  OH having knee op in autumn so cannot go on hols, so got a nice camera instead.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 17:47:05 »
Definitely not honey fungus, which is a sort of browny-orange mushroom thing with a fantastic flavour.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal