Author Topic: Will garlic rust spread to leeks?  (Read 2504 times)

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
Will garlic rust spread to leeks?
« on: July 06, 2011, 18:34:06 »
My autumn planted garlic is covered with rust but underneath the leaves still look quite green. Have dug up the worst and they look reasonable size. Worried if I leave the rest for a while rust will spread to leek bed which is quite near by and they are still very small. Should I take a chance and try to get biggest garlic possible or pull the lot up now?

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Re: Will garlic rust spread to leeks?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 09:50:48 »
Yes it could spread in my experience, but leeks seem less susceptible than garlic. I have already dug up my garlic, I don't think it will do much more now.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 20:28:46 »
I would say yes it will spread if the wind and conditions are right. if you have any weeds near the Garik and the leeks get them out as they will act as hosts so don't presume you are safe after you have pulled your garlic. It also affects onions
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

daitheplant

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 21:28:11 »
Treat the stems with Vaseline, this will stop the spores from spreading and enable you to leave the garlic in the ground until it`s ripe.
DaiT

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 07:54:17 »
Thanks for your replies. Rather like the vaseline suggestion but it would take huge amounts and take forever to apply. Think I'll probably stop being greedy and dig up.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 21:01:49 »
I wouldn't worry too much; rust doesn't actually do much harm. One very wet year, my garlic had rust so badly the tops died off, but I still got a decent harvest. A few spots on either the garlic or the leeks will do no harm.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal