Author Topic: Gigandes (gigantes) beans  (Read 15063 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Gigandes (gigantes) beans
« on: July 04, 2011, 16:54:02 »
Hi can anyone help me ouit please.

I sowed my last few Gigandes and had no germination, mind you they were 9 years old!!

I need to get a few more to start again next year.

I would like the real  Greek Gigandes, the very big ones, mine were 1 1/2 - 1 3/4  inches

I have some others from swaps that have that name but the seeds are smaller and the strain seems different.

If you have any of the really big ones I will swap with anything from this side of the pond,I will order for you if I haven't got what you want as I desparetly want to replace my stock.

Thank you all

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Gigandes (gigantes) beans
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 17:47:25 »
I have some from a swap, but I can't remember what size they are. That could be due to Britain's climate being smaller than Greece's, I suppose; were your originals grown here? I can check tomorrow.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 03:36:24 »
Hi Robert, yes I grew them  first in Canada then in the UK a few times. I did keep seeds usually and I thought I had more recent ones but I must have popped them in one of the swaps and could only find ones dated 2003 which would have been grown in the UK.They always maintained their size. I got the originals from a friend who got them in Greece  sometime in the mid nineties.

I also bought some  from Canada to use as dry beans but they were smaller and I have  a couple of packets, home saved I think that turned up in swaps but again they are smaller.

A few months after Supersprout died someone sent me a few of hers and they were the right size so someone over there must have them as she shared them often I think.  I cannot remember who sent them to me though.

I will try downtown in the Greek delis and see if I can find them there, if not I am stuck.

I would really appreciate you having  a look though, thank you.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 08:43:53 »
Jeannine, if mine come good they sounds like what you are after, so you are welcome. I got mine from swaps on here, and have selected the best for re-sowing. Huge things! I had 6 to start with, and this year I've sowed 12 beans, and planted out 9. It all seems to depend on the summer we have. So if the crop is looking good I'll give you a shout  :)
They are nothing like anything else I've grown - huge fat juicy beans  ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 16:36:46 »
!066 that is smashing, you cannot mistake them, they seriously close to 2 inches.I will be thrilled.

There are some pictures on the site..if you tap in Gigantes  then Supersprout  name she put several lots of pictures on here.

XX Jeannine

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 20:59:15 »
OK will do a search, but in the mean time, cross those fingers!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 21:06:30 »
Mine are about an inch long, and I can't be sure they're the same thing. I don't remember my original ones (from Supersprout) being any bigger, but I may be wrong.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 21:16:24 »
I distributed mine to quite a lot of people a couple of  years ago, and got a crop myself for eating and saving as seed.....but I ate most of them!

The sad story is that this year a friend brought me a packet of gigandes from Greece, and the germination was really poor. Maybe it was old stock in a local shop. So I am growing none this year.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 03:05:40 »
I have found two Greek grocers in Vancouver who have them,one calls them Elephant Gigantes and swears they are the very big ones, the other said they are about a good inch..so waiting for a chance to drive in and  see, both said they are Greek imports so feel sort of hopeful..will let you all know.

XX Jeannine

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 09:38:23 »
Jackie

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 10:04:03 »
you need to be a bit careful. Someone on our allotment had "gigandes" beans from somewhere - they looked identical to mine from franchi, but when they started growing they weren't the same - they were LIMA beans ( they didn't do very well unfortunately)
2 different beans with the same name

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 11:50:05 »
Is this
 http://www.odysea.com/shop/product.php?id=143
any help?
Uhh...anybody noticed how much is postage cost.. :-X To buy that packet of beans with delivery..over a £10!! :-\

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 12:19:35 »
Is this
 http://www.odysea.com/shop/product.php?id=143
any help?
Uhh...anybody noticed how much is postage cost.. :-X To buy that packet of beans with delivery..over a £10!! :-\

Wow, well we can perhaps find the same make elsewhere\?
Jackie

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 12:50:06 »
the problem with the Greek gigandes beans is that they have an EU regional protected status, so you can't buy the seeds for growing under that name. you can buy the seeds for eating and sow them, or buy the same seeds under a different name, like the Spagna bianca, or you can buy seeds from outside the EU, but you have to be careful, Purcell Mountain Farm have the gigandes/gigantes bean, but their's is a lima.

the French tarbais french bean is another one

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 21:57:25 »
I'm sure I've got Spagna Bianca; I hadn't realised it was the same thing, though I had noticed that the beans look the same!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2011, 06:22:09 »
I have the Purcell farms ones,I buy from them regularly actually, they give them more than one name but none are the big ones I am looking for, I have bought practically all their beans over the last few years, even when in the UK. The French Tarbais is much smaller and I do grow that one too as I prefer it for cassoulet.  I also have Spagna Bianca, still not the size and not the same.

hector thank you for the link but without a size I don't know.

One thing I know for sure having put a lot of finger walking, reading and growing them  for 2 decades,Gigantes, Gigandes, Greek Samos,Elephant..etc etc etc have to be the most ...mmm...mixed up bean I know.I hear of many folks growing them but there are so many wrongly named beans out there being grown/sold as the above it would be difficult to be sure.

I spent ages finding my originals and was thrilled when I did .I am am gutted that I was daft enough to not save enough seed when I had grown them for so long.

However they are out there  and the ones at the Greek deli are Greek imports so keeping my fingers crossed.

I really do appreciate all your imput and any lead is welcome.

Thank you all

XX Jeannine

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2011, 10:57:08 »
I distributed mine to quite a lot of people a couple of  years ago, and got a crop myself for eating and saving as seed.....but I ate most of them!

The sad story is that this year a friend brought me a packet of gigandes from Greece, and the germination was really poor. Maybe it was old stock in a local shop. So I am growing none this year.

Sorry to hear that, especially as I got my stock from a swap with you!
Yesterday I rogued out a couple of red flowering plants, and have left the rest, all white flowers. Maybe about 6 plants left now. They seem to be enjoying the warm weather so fingers crossed for a harvest. These beans are definitely huge, I'll see if I can dig out a photo, they are much larger than anything else I've seen.
Hopefully I'll be able to save some seeds and send some back to you.....

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2011, 16:55:57 »
Could somebody fill me in with info regarding these beans...
Are the 'real deal' gigantes beans that Jeannine is after white?
..and are they growing more like broadbeans rather than climbers like runnerbeans?
Even better if somebody would have photo.. ;) ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011, 18:10:53 »
I thought they were runners.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2011, 18:35:03 »
goodie - the ones I have are huge white beans that grow like a runner/french beans and have white flowers

[attachment=1]

[attachment=2]

not the best photos I've ever taken but hopefully this helps......

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal