Author Topic: Ideas for a perennial veggie plot  (Read 13579 times)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Ideas for a perennial veggie plot
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2011, 22:07:30 »
Hi Jeannine... is that "big" sorrel or French (Buckler leaf) Sorrel? I have some of the latter... you can have as seed or root cuttings...  :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2011, 02:27:35 »
Hi Saddad, hows your doings!!

I have just one sorrrel, it is the one from the UK realseeds, French I am sure..what the heck is big sorrel?

I didn't get anything from Plants with a Purpose other then a refund... Hector and Brown Finger, they wouldn't mail to Canada as I expected..

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2011, 07:53:05 »
Normal "big" sorrel has huge leaves and just looks like a dock leaf (because it is... Rumex Acetosa) French has a much smaller shield (Buckler) leaf...
You want big for soups and so on and French for small salad leaves...  :)

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2011, 18:26:12 »
hector was your bulbs the size of spring onions :o :o

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2011, 21:30:29 »
Sorry if I am repeating myself here (have not re-read the whole thread) but I am rather pleased with my scorzonera patch, 3 years old by now. I dug one up the other day and it had expanded into a number of separate thongs, very long, fairly slim, and also hollow, which worried me.

Cleaned them, boiled them in water and vinegar, peeled them (black skin rubs off fairly easily), and added them to a chicken casserole to bulk it out. They were tender in spite of being hollow, and tasted really quite interesting.

I won't be eating them every day, but they have earned their space as perennials. You can never get the whole root out, and I have found, where I think I have dug it out, that eventually they reappear like dandelions. But much nicer. You can eat the smaller fresh leaves in spring without apparently damaging the plant.

I need to get them into an out-of-the-way corner, like horseradish, and just let them do their own thing until I feel like digging some.

Anyone else growing them?

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2011, 22:18:37 »
Yes... and I agree. The shoots below the surface  from a broken root are really nice...  :)

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2011, 19:20:14 »
hector was your bulbs the size of spring onions :o :o

Some bulbs were smallish...others seem regular sized? Like a shallot size?
Jackie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal