Author Topic: corn  (Read 2332 times)

chicken girl

• Not So New ...
corn
« on: June 23, 2011, 21:35:10 »
My girls seem to have gone off of their corn any ideas as why this is ???

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: corn
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 21:44:01 »
Have they slowed down with laying too? If so, then they don't need the extra energy.

chicken girl

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 10:57:27 »
yes only 2 out of 3 seem to be laying

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 12:51:16 »
Ahh..then you could stop giving them the corn altogether...just layers pellets and occasional treat. It is normal that they slow down witht their laying for summer.
Corn is high energy food and really useful during cold weather..it is slowly digested helps girls to keep themselves warm during cold times. But now when their are not laying so much neither it will be too much.
There is also chance if some of them should have good appetite for corn when they don't need it, that they would put too much weight on...fat chickens don't lay as many eggs.
Just keep eye on them..that's all..
I've replaced corn with occasional soaked dog biscuit meal (for protein) and some nice berry/fruit treats from lottie.
It will boost their vitamin intake and hopefully build their health up for up coming molt in couple of months time.
Girls seem to be having fun and enjoying the change in their diet.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 13:47:03 »
After reading this thread out loud I will b****y well murder someone :o :o :o. Oh perhaps I'd better stop giving them some when I let them out, says he. I give them some in the afternoon. I will be buying eggs at the rate my girls are laying. Six chickens & I'm lucky to see an egg a day. I could scream.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 13:58:04 »
 ;D ;D ;D Somebody is not in good books today at all ..is he?.. ;D ;D Oh dear... :-X
Mine have slowed down too..but I still get 2-3 eggs almost everyday from 4 girls..

« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 14:00:07 by goodlife »

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 14:02:31 »
He's just shared some of his pomfret cakes with me so I'm mellowing slightly.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 14:04:40 »
 ;D Ahh..is that the way to your heart... ;) ;D..se how your girls like it?...perhaps he like to share his portion witht them.. :-X
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 14:27:34 by goodlife »

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 14:20:03 »
I wouldn't go that far. There is a limit to his generosity ;D ;D ;D.

Ragdoll Lady

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 15:59:02 »
Methinks I will have to stop hubby spoiling the girls with corn and mealworm treats. I have warned him that fat hens dont lay but his arguement is that Abbey our only hen to lay so far is laying every day and she eats the lions share of treats. Gemima and Scarlett have got very red combs and wattles and both crouch when picked up so I think its eggs from them soon, they are 25 weeks old now. Morwenna and Tamsin the two Skylines are only 19 weeks.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 16:25:44 »
OHs & chickens ::) ::) ::).

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 16:29:19 »
I went in the run yesterday to depoop the coop. I had kitchen roll in my hand & the 2 speckeldy's thought it was a treat & were jumping up to get it. They both ended up with a beak full of paper. Anyway I must dash. I shall now go & pretend to give them some corn ;D ;D ;D.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal