Author Topic: Peas  (Read 3788 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Peas
« on: June 22, 2011, 23:15:47 »
I have peas, I am so pleased. Last year only enough for one meal for two, this year peas to freeze.  ;D

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
Re: Peas
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 07:59:03 »
^^ woot woot!!

I have a good set of pods which I keep fondling but nothing much in them yet,

happy days.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 08:02:39 »
My first peas are just going over, the second and the mangetout are in full flower..  :)
Great isn't it...

lavenderlux

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 09:15:29 »
I've had a fantastic crop of peas - probably best ever and still picking
Varieties:  Little Marvel, Green Sage and Victorian Climbing Pea - last is a super variety, very tall - around 6ft so needs support but it crops over two to three weeks whereas more modern varieties are usually all ready at the same time - I save my own seed of this and may have some to offer in 'swaps' later on
Just love the taste of freshly picked peas (both cooked and uncooked)
This year, no 'pea moth maggots' in the pods - anyone else noticed this?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 10:01:33 »
Wonder of wonders, I've managed to freeze half a pound of kelvedon wonder, first lot. The colossus and mummy peas are just starting to flower so we will have frozen peas coming out of our ears soon  ;D
mind you, my grandson hasn't been there lately  ;D

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 14:06:07 »
My first year for growing them and I've been very happy. Especially with the Victorian ones, Laxton's Exquisite (they are!) and Magnum Bonum (still to fatten) and the mangtout I grew also did well.

I overwintered meteor and they were early but weedy little plants, didn't look happy, and hardly gave any pods. Not sure what I did to offend them. Flavour was nowhere near as good as Laxton's Exquisite either.

I'll definitely do peas again next year.

Hadn't thought of pests like pea moth maggot - yuck  :-X none so far  :-\

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 14:28:11 »

My purple podded peas are about ten feet high   :o    and the pods are filling nicely.   

Anyone know how to get a packet of those commercial peas that all ripen at the same time?    Cheers,   Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

Morris

• Acre
  • This is Morris! North Hampshire
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 14:53:51 »
The first picking of sugar snap Cascadia was made last week by my daughter when we were in sunny Corfu (sigh). Very heavy crops because of all the rain we are now getting.

Golden mange-tout still climbing their supports ready to follow on.

But I made a massive - pun intended - mistake this year. For the first time, I grew Alderman. I know perfectly well that peas always grow taller than stated in my soil. And that I am a midget 5'. The Alderman are covered in pods at least 8' in the air, still growing vigorously, flopping off the top of their supports. How on earth I am going to pick them I do not know!!  ???

Happy days, though.  ;D

« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 14:55:52 by Morris »

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 11:49:44 »
^^ woot woot!!

I have a good set of pods which I keep fondling but nothing much in them yet,

happy days.
pea fondling now there's a new one  ;D ;D
sanity is overated

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 21:10:30 »
Do pea flowers need pollinating? I had such trouble with pigeons and pea moth last year that I have made a secondary net round the (alderman) peas - it is quite fine so probably bees etc wont get in - is this a mistake?
thanks

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 18:57:31 »
The flowers self-pollinate before they open, so you'll be fine.

willsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 22:30:27 »
I , have picked my peas today, loads of them. I dont freeze any as they are just yummy to eat and they are my favourite thing that I grow. still some to fill out yet,2nd sowing catching up so will have them to look forward to. Anyone else noticed how quickly the leaves of the peas gone yellow this year? is it the strange weather we have had?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 01:52:44 »
Just starting to pick mine. I plant a lot of the old soup peas, since they've got more nourishment, are more filling, and are more suitable for our style of cooking. So a lot of them aren't sweet at all!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal