Author Topic: Tomato etc. support  (Read 3012 times)

elhuerto

• Acre
Tomato etc. support
« on: February 27, 2012, 10:43:38 »
Thinking ahead a bit but planning the borders in the polytunnel. I've seen a few people supporting tomato plants in the polytunnel on string tied to the top horizontal bars and I assume at the bottom tied to short canes to initially support the young plant - does that sound about right? Would you use the same method for other plants like cucumbers and melons? One more thing, is the planting distance any different to what you would normally do outside or would you leave a little more space?

Cheers!
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: Tomato etc. support
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 11:01:52 »
You don't need to put a cane near the plant, just loop the string under the root ball when you plant it out, that will hold it in place ok.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 12:32:39 »
Thanks, didn't think of that - do you do the same for cucumbers and melons?
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 19:57:56 »
Yes you can do, but my track record with melons is famously pants, so none of mine have ever climbed very far! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 20:09:17 »
Select "tomato" then scroll down to the last video - "tying tomatoes up"

http://mrfothergills.thegardenchannel.tv/
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 18:11:48 »
Thanks very much - very helpful. One more question if I may. I was putting the path in the tunnel today and it leaves two beds 1m 30 cm width each (4.27 feet) which seems quite wide - does anyone have any tips for maximizing the planting whilst making everything accessible?

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 18:43:16 »
does anyone have any tips for maximizing the planting whilst making everything accessible?
-----------------
x   x   x   x   x  x     (x  : plants)
  x    x   x   x   
=========  x    (= : path)
x   x   x   x   x 
  x    x   x   x    x
------------------
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 10:48:12 »
Thanks, that's what I thought although because of the position of the top horizontal bars I think the tomatoes will need to go at the front. Maybe the best place for the melons is the end corners as they'll take up more space. My son just commented on how rude it looked - I hadn't noticed til then  ::) Here's a photo of the inside http://www.flickr.com/photos/granyanella/6805571040/in/photostream

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 11:16:34 »
 ;D..yes I can see what you mean.. ;D The end of the polytunnel might be the warmest place and I would be tempted to plant in there too..although you do have the most head room there too...cucumbers?
You've done really good job there.. ;) ;D

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 20:04:17 »
I manage to get a staggered double row of tomatoes with a row of peppers in front of it down the "wide" side and a staggered double row of peppers and chillis down the other side in my GH... it's 10 feet wide with a 2 foot path. I also get a couple of cucumbers in on the rather larger structural members that are in the middle where the two halves join, they go in instead of the "front" pepper....

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 07:39:53 »
Thanks again - most helpful!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal