Author Topic: Producing puppies?  (Read 2460 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
Producing puppies?
« on: June 25, 2011, 14:26:57 »
Not that we are going to or wanting to have any puppies with our Amber...
but I was just wondering if anybody could shed some 'light' for this practice.
What is recommended/acceptable age for pregnant dog to have a first litter?
Would there be any problems if dog is paired when she is in 'heat' for first time or should she go through without any attempt?
I'm intersted what is the proper practice with the matter with proper breeders..no doubt puppy farmers have different way of doing things....
Its just that we've found out some 'facts' about her previous owner now..and we don't quite agree with some of the stuff that has been going on..
Well...obviously that is now is past and she's got very different kind of home now...but I'm still curious..
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 14:35:32 by goodlife »

Ragdoll Lady

• Half Acre
Re: Producing puppies?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 16:12:28 »
Cant help you with that one I am afraid as I know nothing about dogs. You could look up the Kennel Clubs website and it should have a breeding section and breeders practises to answer your questions. My first four cats came from a very bad cat breeder who was very good at 'hiding' the facts. They came with an array of health problems which apart from two who became lifelong carriers of the herpes virus and had uper respitory problems they are beautiful cats and have blossomed. just like your dog will under your love and care. When I got to know other Ragdoll Breeders I saw how breeding healthy cats should be done and my last two came from such breeders....what a difference.
I became very angry at how some breeders treat the animals they breed from and did manage to report the oringinal breeder to the breed clubs she belonged to and the GCCF. She was struck off the register for the breed clubs and gave up breeding. Of course she hates me but she caused so much pain to so many people who bought sick and dying cats from her and she failed to care for those cats causing them pain...so although I dont like myself for blowing the whistle I had to do it. But I still feel bad about doing it 6 years later.
Maybe its best not to dwell on your dogs bad past but to enjoy her and look to the future...I bet she thinks she has landed on her paws!

Lindax

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 16:50:47 »
Code: [Select]
I bet she thinks she has landed on her paws!  ;D..yep... ;D I just think she had lucky escape.
If she would have manage to get puppies straight away..I don't think they've got rid of her that quickly.
Well it was their stupidity and our luck. ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 19:37:02 »
If you check with the Kennel Club in the UK the are rules for this, years ago there were not and as dog breeders we had to use our own judgement.

I bred and showed OES, Tibetan Spaniels, Pekingese and Pugs.

My dogs were left until any tests for defects that could be passed on were done, eg hip dysplasia in OES for eg, slipping patella in Pugs.

But leaving that bit out of it..generally the bigger breeds were left till their second or even third season, never their first. Generally OES came into heat close to 6 or 7 month , much too immature to breed,

Some of the Oriental breeds often came in much later, I had  Tibetan Spaniel which was 13 mths before she came on so technically I guess she would have been old enough but I wouldn't.

I think the Kennel Club will not register puppies born too early and they have to rest before seasons and are limited by age and number of litters too, but as I said the rules were changed when I was in Canada and never got do involved when I returned.

The above was done to protect over breeding which is great, sadly it doesn't help the puppy farms  as they just shuffle the bitches paper work anyway and  it doesn't help the back street breeder who doesn't register .

Inherited defect checking aside, my answer would be,it depends on the breed  but never before a dog is fully mature and at least on the second.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 20:23:04 »
Ahh..thanks for that..
The idea of pairing her when she is barely got out of puppy stage got to me... :(
Well..obviously they didn't know what they were doing...and as Amber didn't get any puppies from first time they wanted to get rid of her..Pheww.. ::)
Anyway...she is out of her 'cage life'..and lying down happily on front of fire.. ;D Its good for some... ;)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 21:50:49 »
Well done to you.

Way back,in the UK first then in Canada, I was very involved with the puppy farm problem. I used to pick up dogs from them in the UK those that they had no more use for as I was a key part of a rescue group.. I had to shelve my personal feelings and try to be polite,had I moralised they wouldn;t have called me,the option was a gun or injection so I guess I was easier for them. I once went to collect 4 pugs, I asked for the papers , not that we ever gave them out but sometimes we could contact the original breeder, I remember one day when the woman tossed a heap of pug papers at me and told me to help myself to 4..so much for pedigrees.

Like  Nazi works camps for dogs.When they couldn't work any longer  they got rid of them.

Oh I could curl your hair.

I once went undercover in Canada, pretending to be looking for a dog, I saw a really sad looking skinny Peke,the woman said she was useless, she had missed twice and was going to "done in", I took her home. We shaved her, bathed her, gave ger a warm coat, took ehr to the vet, they said she was about 9. Her hair grew back and she became pretty but her mind was gone, she had a faraway look that never went away. She lived another two years,then died peacefully in her sleep in a wee bed on the lawn one sunny afternoon.

Oops tears now..

When your treasure is lovely and fit , have her spayed, and give yourself a pat on the back.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 22:31:06 »
Just reading that little bit of the sad stories make my eye fill up.. ::)
Our treasure has already showing signs of getting fit..and all the bald patches on back (from chewing the hair because of the fleas) are grown over now and she is not struggling with long walks anymore neither..
It is us who are having to keep up with her.. ;D
And yes..spaying is next on list once the time is right.. ;)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 22:41:23 »
There used to be a dry product called Mirrorcoat available from good stores that sell stuff . It is excellent plus for creating a super coat, not ofr harsh coats thogh as terriers have as it makes them too soft. It was expenisve but I swore by it for my dogs, I would giveit to her her it if still available, probably mail order from a show dog retailer.It is a great food supplement too.

XX Jeannine

Found it..there you go..excellent stuff I would stake my life on this one.

http://www.nutrecare.co.uk/Product-1477-supplements-for-dogs/Mirra-Coat-powder-for-dogs

Tap in Mirra Coat when you get there,m the lionk is only taking you to the site for some reason
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 22:49:50 by Jeannine »

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 08:27:10 »
Thanks Jeannine..I shall try that...she's got some vitamins and evening primrose oil at the moment..
and looking at the description of the mirra coat that has very similar things in it too.
Once I get her pills and potions done I'll get that..Its like all in one solution..rather than what I'm doing now... ::)
Mind though..Amber does sit down and look amused when I'm rattling all bottles.. ;D ;D

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 14:06:08 »
My eyes filled up too Jeannine when I read about your puppy farm exploits. The penalties are not high enough to stamp out the problem. The poor dogs suffer so much. Well done on what you managed to do.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal