Author Topic: A cat named Innit - the beginning  (Read 3789 times)

Lishka

• Acre
A cat named Innit - the beginning
« on: June 19, 2011, 23:08:37 »
I became aware of Innit last November when the snow was thick'n'deep'n'even. My kitchen is on the first floor and overlooks the back gardens. Every morning I'd see this little black cat plough up to its belly through two gardens (enter stage left), squeeze through the dividing hawthorn hedges and come into my garden, its destination being a spot under a large viburnum bush way to the righthand side, miraculously free of snow.....there, with a sigh of relief, it would sniff, squat, etc.etc..., before starting the long plod back...

In time, when the snow went, I saw that the black cat had white sox and paws and chest. A very fine little cat indeed 8)

It had no collar and I hoped, but didn't know for sure, if it actually had a home. It was extremely timid tho not aggressive.

Just in case it didn't have a home to return to and was living on its wits, a box of dried catfood became a regular fixture on my Aldi shopping list......I figured that the few biscuits I put out every day would be a tasty mid-morning snack if it was getting regular food etc. at home (so many cats have several pit-stop places, don't they?) but if the little thing was living rough on what it was scavanging/killing it would be a welcome supplement.

A friend visited and asked its name. I replied that I didn't know and had avoided giving it one. I didn't even know if it was male or female."It's a cat, innit?".

And so Innit (which, according to my friend, is female) came into my life..

...to be continued..

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: A cat named Innit - the beginning
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 09:29:03 »
 ;D..these 'adoption' stories are always interesting.. ;D
Looking forward for the part 2.. ;)

Ragdoll Lady

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 10:26:31 »
Looking forward to hearing the next bit of the story :)

Lishka

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 15:41:09 »
I'm actually coming back to this, after all this time, cos Innit (and I) have had many adventures together over the summer. I was put off from posting by a not-too-well received PM I got back then (pont taken) so I went quiet..... :-[

I'll ask for this to be moved to another, more appropriate Forum, and continue if I may and if you wish. I still don't know if Innit is a lovely little accident-prone, mayhem-distributing visitor with a permanent home or, like Betty's Allotment Cats, a stray/feral who's found a friend she can trust, in me.....

:-* Lishka

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 15:49:59 »
Well you could post a photo, or say you're painting a word picture ... or move it somewhere else like Pets' corner  ... but keep telling us! What adventures????

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 16:18:06 »
Oh yes! The crowd is calling for MORE!!!

;)

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 08:22:27 »
Do you think there is a tunnel from your house to mine? Back in the summer  a cat of exactly the same description started visiting my house in the evenings to hoover up all the food left down for my two cats, it too is very timid but just lately it has fed & the gone upstairs for a nap before going out again when I started moving around & getting ready for bed. This morning however it had obviously stayed the night & sat looking whilst I fed my two, so I put another dish down & he/she sat alongside the others & actually allowed me to stroke it. I have called it Dyson & it is starting ( I think!) to recognise this name.

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 09:33:57 »
You should know better than to take any notice of the not so savoury PMs that can be received on here! >:( Read Disregard and Delete ;D ;D (unless it needs reporting of course so then keep hold of it!)

I want to hear more about Innit!   And now I want to hear more about Dyson! (LOL @ the names)

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 10:27:10 »
I too am being adopted by a young stray cat.  She's been hanging around all summer and, I thought, just passing through our garden but when the weather turned cold in September I found she was sleeping in our ex bullshed.  She was very thin and, I think, pregnant at the time with a dull coat and quite timid but not scared off by our pottering about.

I started putting down cat biscuits for her and made a cosy nest for the eventual birth but she seems to have lost them.   However she is now plumper all round and her coat has improved no end.  It's now soft and shiny and she comes to greet me when I go to put down fresh food each morning.  She has started rubbing against my legs and is gradually allowing me to stroke her.  

I'm hoping she'll become an indoor cat by the time the snows come and am hoping to get her vetted in the next month.  She will just be Pusscat as long as she stays outside.

Our resident cat, Zazu, is none too chuffed but will get used to it and the dog, Rasta, can't wait to have a playmate.  Zazu doesn't approve of dogs and just tolerates this one.
Obxx - Vendée France

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 11:57:14 »
OK, advice please.

We have now taken the stray to the vets and she has been neutered.  It seems she is about 4 years old, has had kittens and then been abandoned.  She had polycystic ovaries so it's  agood job we got to her when we did.

Anyway, she then had to spend 4 days in our spare bedroom recovering, during which time I have wormed and flea'd and ticked her again.  When it came time to let her out to explore it took her 20 hours to get past the door.  Clearly she appreciates the safety, warmth, comfort, cuddles, catnip mouse toy and regular food supply.

Now she's venturing a bit further and we have sing song territorial matches between our 14 year old cat and her.   

Can I do anything to help them get used to each other or do I just have to let them decide who is top cat?   

I don't want warfare as our boy has only one front paw thanks to a traffic accident and she isn't yet fully healed.  However, she's young and small and fit now and has clearly been looking after herself for quite while so isn't likely to soften much.    The vet said she has a "sacré charactère" - tells you how it is when she doesn't approve.

She'll make an excellent ratter and mouser in the veg patch.
Obxx - Vendée France

Ragdoll Lady

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 10:28:31 »
OK, advice please.

We have now taken the stray to the vets and she has been neutered.  It seems she is about 4 years old, has had kittens and then been abandoned.  She had polycystic ovaries so it's  agood job we got to her when we did.

Anyway, she then had to spend 4 days in our spare bedroom recovering, during which time I have wormed and flea'd and ticked her again.  When it came time to let her out to explore it took her 20 hours to get past the door.  Clearly she appreciates the safety, warmth, comfort, cuddles, catnip mouse toy and regular food supply.

Now she's venturing a bit further and we have sing song territorial matches between our 14 year old cat and her.  

Can I do anything to help them get used to each other or do I just have to let them decide who is top cat?  

I don't want warfare as our boy has only one front paw thanks to a traffic accident and she isn't yet fully healed.  However, she's young and small and fit now and has clearly been looking after herself for quite while so isn't likely to soften much.    The vet said she has a "sacré charactère" - tells you how it is when she doesn't approve.

She'll make an excellent ratter and mouser in the veg patch.
Well done on giving her a new home, her little life will start all over again now she has love and security. It will take time for her to settle to a life in a home with another cat. My advice to you is not to expect too much too soon and just judge the situation by ear and let nature take its course.  Two things that can really helpp. One is a Feliway Diffuser which is a plug in that gives off synthetic cat hormones which help take the edge off the situation, the other is to get both cats smelling the same, a good old trick is to put a little baby powder on their fur, it wont cause them any harm but they will have mixed their scents. I would also let the new cat have an established place of safety ie the room you kept her in to get over her operation. Cats need somewhere to flee to when they feel threatened. Reassure your existing cat and make sure he gets laods of attention and cuddles. Things will calm down they always do.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 10:31:17 by Ragdoll Lady »

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 12:05:51 »
Thanks.  I've found an on-line supplier and ordered a Feliway diffuser.    Never seen one in shops here.  You never know, it may help both cats relax about the dog who is desperate to play but her doggy body language is all wrong for cats.

In the mean time, we let Pusscat roam around upstairs but only when we're there to supervise if Zazu is in.  She's mostly content to stay in her room anyway and just pops out for a quick explore before retreating to her sanctuary.   
Obxx - Vendée France

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal