Author Topic: Cat scarer  (Read 2187 times)

petefj

• Half Acre
Cat scarer
« on: June 22, 2011, 10:09:41 »
I've seen advertised a water cat scarer that costs £36 and I'm  wondering if anyone on the Forum has tried such a thing.
We live on a small estate with open plan front gardens and the cats are driving me mad with their constant fouling of my small front garden.
This thing needs a water hose connection and runs on battery power.  The retailer claims that it has an accuracy of up to 50 feet.
I am reluctant to spend that sort of money without some reasonable expectation of success.

Peter
If you can keep your head, whilst those around you are losing theirs,
you obviously don't realise the full horror of your situation.

Ragdoll Lady

• Half Acre
Re: Cat scarer
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 11:30:23 »
What a great idea Peter I wonder if it would work on dogs and the grumpy old men that let them foul my open plan front garden and path and tell me to bug%*r off when I comfront them.? I know what you mean about wanting to find out if anyone has used one before purchasing. I want to buy a 'fox watch' sonic scarer but am reluctant to buy before I know it will definately work. I reckon someonewill be along here soon with some practical information on the device you are interested in.

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 11:58:54 »
Don't bother with the ultrasonic ones, they don't work.

Had a look on Amazon - the reviews for the water ones aren't always good.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PestBye-Jet-Spray-Repeller/dp/B004YCUT4W/ref=sr_1_3?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1308740195&sr=1-3

But still worth considering if you are desperate.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 12:05:50 »
Try and catch them pooing and spray them with a water pistol.  Cats learn very quickly and don't like water, if not put twigs over plants to stop them digging.  Dulce (neighbours) cat that thinks it lives here goes home (or out) when I pick the water pistol up, don't even have to spray it now and he knows to go home.  I know it may be difficult to do a 24 watch with a water pistol but if you catch them once they might go elsewhere.  Good luck.

petula

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 12:22:44 »
Just to say expensive cat scarers dont work I found that filling Jam Jars with water and placing them around your garden seems to deter them as movment on reflection works ( maybe not so at night) so good luck.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 12:49:38 »
This subject is often discussed over on the Beeb and over the years I've seen posts that indicate the water scarecrows get good results.  You just have to make sure you don't get the postman and also move the sensors from time to time so the cats don't learn to avoid them.  Apparently it also works on foxes and herons after goldfish and koi carp.
Obxx - Vendée France

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 20:01:06 »
do they work on noisy dogs got one  moved next door i cant open thedoor it barks  doing the garden it barks  iam waiting for it to bark when i flush the loo :-next. just hopeing it wil quieten down once it gets used to living there. bloody dogs  no i love em really  could;nt eat a whole one( only joking) ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal