Author Topic: cordless strimmer  (Read 27612 times)

lewic

• Hectare
Re: cordless strimmer
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2011, 10:34:10 »
Code: [Select]
I have an area round the greenhouse and a patch of grass about 10 feet x 20 feet to try to keep tidy..would a battery one handle that please
I think my battery strimmer would cope with this easily, but I'd charge it each time just in case. However the problem I find with grass is that to get it neat you have to hold the strimmer a few inches off the ground and even small areas are rather knackering on the back (as opposed to a lawnmower which you just push)

Really must do some upper body strength exercises!

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2011, 14:34:23 »
The consensus of opinion seems to be that battery strimmers will run for about 15-20 mins, which may well not be long enough to do the job. Petrol strimmers are the ultimate, they have plenty of balls, but might be too heavy. The middle ground is a mains electric strimmer, light and man enough for the job, but you need a generator.

Cordless strimmers  seem to be in the range £50-£120
Petrol Strimmers £80 - £200
Electric Strimmer £25-£100 + 800w petrol generator £50-£100

You always have the option of having several batteries , or two or three battery strimmers.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2011, 16:10:33 »
re bosch easy trim 14.4 volt charging time from empty 250 mins cuts grass up to15 cm.[ taller grass cut instages ]light conditions up tp500 metres  med 300mts tough 50 metres  plastic blades[just read brocture] its nice and light for me  and non of this pulling to get it started  my petrol ones been retired to the back of the shed i suppose it wont be any good for brambles and very tough stuff but to keep grass edges and paths tidy i find it to be ideal for me

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2011, 16:19:16 »
plus i should have said it folds in half so i can carry on my scooter if i need to do any strimming at home

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2011, 08:52:01 »
My ryobi on.e plus charges from flat to fully charged in 30 mins. I highly recommend it.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2011, 17:21:37 »
My ryobi on.e plus charges from flat to fully charged in 30 mins. I highly recommend it.

Ditto, it's not up to the big stuff that I do with a petrol job but it doesn't weigh like it either adn you can get it into tight spaces easier, worth it for me cos I ahve a lot of One-PLus stuff....

chrisc

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2011, 20:01:36 »
I have a Bosch ART 23li which does the job; it's still running after half an hour, and I'm not likely to strim for longer than that. It would be better with an 18 volt battery rather than 14.4 volt, but it copes with grass and most weeds quite happily, and I like the blades it uses rather than line. They work out about 30p each on eBay, so it's not expensive to run. It won't do hard stuff like old dock stems, but it will cut nettles.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2011, 14:57:27 »

Ditto, it's not up to the big stuff that I do with a petrol job but it doesn't weigh like it either adn you can get it into tight spaces easier, worth it for me cos I ahve a lot of One-PLus stuff....

chrisc

Thanks Chris it was you I think that recommended it to me. Getting rid of my petrol strimmer the one plus is so good. I agree about the tight spaces, I lost a lot of things with the petrol strimmer...kept chopping them off!

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2011, 20:17:22 »
This post was so useful to me when I was working out what to buy. I've ended up buying a Qualcast, and although the battery doesn't last long, it does cut very tough stuff (even brambles).

I have to say, it's actually quite hard work strimming grass though, it's not actually that much easier than cutting with shears! Which was a disappointment to me  ;D But it still makes a big difference in keeping up with cutting the paths. Plus it cuts that awful shiny grass that shears bounce off.

So I'm glad I got it. Thanks to everyone for their advice. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal