Author Topic: New Allotment............Maybe  (Read 10336 times)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: New Allotment............Maybe
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2011, 09:23:58 »
Yay! good news Den ( and nr a pub, perfick!)  ;)  ;D ;D
You couldn't make it up!

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2011, 09:41:46 »
Good on ya betula, life without an allotment is worth thinking about and just think of all the new Friends your going to make.
Forgot to put the NOT in  :P :P

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2011, 22:59:06 »
Just a quick update,
The plot is about thirty feet by ten or twelve something like that.

Loads of clods of grass in the soil when I started digging...........but so easy to dig.........yay ;D

Started to work my way up the right hand side and created a small strawberry bed and as it is late in the season will have to go to the garden centre for some stuff.Will try some seed though but digging and laying the plot out will be my priority.

Jim kindly constructed an arch we bought from wilko......bless them,that is my entrance and may add a few more as I go along.

The farmer has provided loads of muck but I am steering clear of that as I don't want a disaster on my hands.

I have a free afternoon tomorrow so hope the weather is OK but will be popping into wilko first for stuff LOL.

Just reserved a wheelbarrow at Argos..............shunting them grass clods is going to slow me down a bit but the farmer has provided an container to put them in.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2011, 07:10:34 »
Have you looked at Ken Muir for strawberries, they keep them frozen so they take of very fast.  Though quite a lot of varieties are now out of stock.   

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2011, 08:16:47 »
Glad you have made a start . The farmer seems very obliging
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2011, 08:32:41 »
Well I had quite a few strawberry plants in pots at the back of the house,so off they went to the allotment and they have started me off.

The farmer does seem pretty good.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2011, 08:38:31 »
Our farmer is great too.  I do hope that more farmers can find that renting out plots can be a good crop. 

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2011, 08:55:22 »
If you need any marshmello runners a bit later in the season, let me know  :)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2011, 11:51:35 »
terrific looking site! Hope it brings you much enjoyment! ;)
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2011, 13:46:13 »
Betula..Aldi has got some strawberry plants in sale tomorrow..£2.99 for 6..if you are in urgent need of some.. ;)

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2011, 11:20:51 »
Oh thanks everyone that is so kind. ;D

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2011, 11:52:57 »
It all sounds great and I bet you're itching to get going. Still loads of stuff you can sow too.

My plot - and garden - have been neglected for the last 4-5 weeks while I've been working as an examiner, so I can't wait to get back and get my hands dirty!!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2011, 12:40:40 »
Still got quite a few to do... but having a planting out day...  :)

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2011, 08:50:07 »
well the plan to work Wednesday afternoon did not happen as I was due to leave work at 2 and at five to two the boss had to go home so I was stuck there till six.Seconds after that my Daughter called me to go across to her house and she was in strong Labour but doubting it  ::)Thursday morning went to bed with the dawn breaking but went into auto pilot as had to collect little Grandson from school but today I am determined to dig dig dig..............

banksy

• Half Acre
  • Southend-on-Sea, Essex
    • my blog
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2011, 10:21:58 »
What a great looking plot! As everyone else has said a blank canvas is a wonderful way to start off with a new plot (as mine was but it was covered in nettles!)

Enjoy!

Iain
Friends always welcome on the plot, weeds by appointment only.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2011, 20:16:12 »
Thanks Iain  :)

Correction on size it is 50 by 20.
Managed to do some digging all afternoon.Bit slow as I am not fast these days but was happy with what I did.

The strawberry plants looked nice and perky so happy with that after a few days of them being planted.I draped some net over them but need a fruit cage really so have included that in my master plan.

Found some runner beans still in date so have popped them in round a little wigwam and we will see what will happen.Asked around and a lot of people have used the manure with no ill plants ............the site has been open since April apparently.Popped some manure in and it looks good stuff.

A lot to do before winter comes but the blank canvas aspect is amazing.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2011, 08:11:15 »
Had a few hours down the plot yesterday and was delighted to see my Radish seeds have germinated. :)First seeds on the plot so ridiculously excited over a few Radish but you know how it is. ;D

The digging is my priority but I seem so slow.The digging must be done as finding lots of grass.

Nearly everyone I speak to is a first time Allotment holder and I must say they are making a very good job of it.Saying that the chap next door is just digging where he wants to grow ,litterally ,boy is he going to have problems with that grass but I am keeping my mouth firmly shut for a change LOL  ;D

Found a few of those cut worms do you call them ?To be expected in grassland ,had a look on the web and one suggested turning the soil in September when the babbies come so the birds can get at them,another said to put some spuds in on a spike to get them......Any advice on this please ??

Lots of lovely everyday wormies so very encouraging.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2011, 08:09:15 »
it all sounds fantastic, and your enthusiasm is coming across!  ;D  8)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2011, 09:12:58 »
it all sounds fantastic, and your enthusiasm is coming across!  ;D  8)
Having a fresh plot to start on is a great feeling and the challenge of turning a weed ridden patch into something useful is exhilarating. Thats how come we have two and a half plots. ;D
Enjoy your first harvest Betula
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2011, 19:30:16 »
Well my beans are coming up now and my courgettes  ;D

Still slow digging but getting there.I know from reading many posts on here over the years it will be worth it

One bloke is sieving but I must admit I don't think me body is up to that and he said he has had enough really.

Hoping for a few hours down there tomorrow,reckon another week or so and I will have cracked it..

Lots of new sheds ,patios etc going in on the plots and a nice community spirit.

I really need to get down there earlier in the day as more yacking than digging going on some days   ;D

That other plot is so tempting but must be sensible,hoping it will be allocated now to take the dilemma away LOL

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal