Author Topic: New Allotment............Maybe  (Read 10337 times)

betula

• Hectare
New Allotment............Maybe
« on: June 17, 2011, 05:33:15 »
 Having have had to give up two allotments because of house moves I thought my allotment life was done with.My health has been a bit poor with kidney problems so consoled myself with the thought that it was for the best anyway.

Three year waiting list here for a council allotment.

Have been able to grow a few veg first on a tiny plot of land here ,then on an unused garden owned by the cathedral,the garden though has been mainly flowers etc as it is in a very public place.Really enjoy it.

Anyway,sat down to read the local mag and a farmer a few miles away is advertising brand new plots...........£100 a year with water.

Each plot is fenced off and they are alongside the canal.......do canals flood ??

Going to see it Saturday............got chatting to someone and her Daughter has one and says it is a lovely place.

May go today as Saturday seems a long way off and I am excited LOL

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
Re: New Allotment............Maybe
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 06:56:00 »
Seems like you need an allotment so hope this site nice as it sounds. Don't think canals flood and least you wouldn't run out of water!

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 07:16:37 »
How lovely Betula. Take some pics and then we can help you decide wether to take it or not ;D
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 08:01:16 »
Canals have a complex arrangement of feeders and overflows to maintain the level but can flood if the overflow channels get blocked... highly unlikely though.   :)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 08:31:56 »
Our allotments were new and on farm land.  Actually technically not allotments.  Depends on the contract.  But beside a canal sounds like a very attractive spot.  You will have to look into the agreement carefully.  For example we are not allowed sheds,  greenhouses, polytunnels and livestock.  £100 charge depends on the size of the plots.  

We do not have huge fences so have had minor amounts of theft of produce.  
What is the canal used for?  Will people in boats have easy access to the site.  And being out in the country side means that there are a greater number of rabbits, deer, pigeons, badgers, squirrels to help themselves too.  

I have also had to spend quite a lot of effort improving the soil but I did not have to struggle with brambles and bindweed etc.   Do look at the access and think about how long term the commitment of the farmer will be.  

As for your on cathedral garden, I am finding more ways of popping veg amongst the flowers of my front garden.  Purple flowered peas, salmon pink runner beans amonst sweet peas,  pink flowered strawberries, red leaved potato plants, red stemned beans climbing through shrubs, red podded peas etc etc.  

I hope it works out for you.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 08:51:12 »
Hi Betula,

The allotments that were new on our site, created on a field, had real problems with couch grass for the first couple of years but are good now, I imagine rabbit proof fencing will be your most important need, it is on ours :)  Sounds a lovely place to have an allotment, nice and peaceful :) :)

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 19:40:01 »
Thanks for your comments all. :)

Well I could wait no longer and off I went to have a look this afternoon.

The site is just off the main road and has plenty of parking.Although the site is fenced their is no real security as such.Alongside the canal and I waved to three happy boaters going past,no mooring as such alongside the canal.But in short yes stuff could be pinched .

The soil is a sandy loam so I guess will dry out very quickly,however anything is better than clay that I have battled with in the past.

I have chosen a plot quite near to the water supply.

The pub is in view of my plot so what could be better.??

Say hi to the new tenant of plot 76...........I am its first tenant.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 19:42:40 »
Each plot is fenced off and they are alongside the canal.......do canals flood ??
Which canal Betula? (I'm the water keeper on the Kennet and Avon).
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 19:49:57 »
Does the Trent Mersey make sense?

Will double check LOL

Yes Got it right.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 20:04:30 by betula »

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 20:54:39 »
sounds perfect-am very happy for you.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 22:34:46 »
It's not unheard of for a canal to over-top its banks, though they're managed as carefully as possible to maintain a constant level so it's not usually anything to worry about.  Unfortunately I don't know anything about the Trent and Mersey, but if you want to PM me the locks at either end of your pound I'll make some discrete enquiries.  It's easy enough to tell if the ground is regularly flooded as there'll be tell-tale marsh grasses and sedges.

I'm really pleased for you getting a plot again Betula.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 23:41:17 »
Plot 76 to the right of the number

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 06:28:27 »
Looks great - will be brilliant to start from scratch and have it just the way you want.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 07:23:04 »
Well I would have said" TAKE IT". How lovely to have a blank canvas. I have never had a clear site to start with.Imagine no rubbish to get shut of.
What are you going to do first Betula.
I can see this becoming a series"Goings on at plot 76". Just keep us informed as you fill it up. Oh I am so excited for you Betula
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 08:09:12 »
fantastic and congrats on the new plot  8) As Shirl says, a blank canvas .... how exciting!

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2011, 08:16:02 »
Congratulations Betula. I hope you really enjoy getting going again. What size is your new domain?

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2011, 08:20:02 »
Good on ya betula, life without an allotment is worth thinking about and just think of all the new Friends your going to make.

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2011, 10:00:26 »
What a fantastic plot and no shoulder high brambles. Congratulations, and may you have many years pleasure with it.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2011, 10:12:00 »
Looks great Bet, a quick hoeing and it will be perfect, I think the pub sold it for me though.    ;)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Alimo

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2011, 15:30:41 »
Looks fantastic!

Good for you for taking it  ;D

Alison

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal