Author Topic: Sweetcorn - not sure what to do  (Read 4098 times)

Russell

• Half Acre
Re: Sweetcorn - not sure what to do
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2011, 06:20:10 »
I think the best spacing for sweetcorn depends on your soil and cultivation conditions. If you can get them to grow really well, they will try to send out lots of side shoots and fully fill up the bed. However if conditions are not so good there will be embarrassing gaps.
For example in my back garden Sundance have always been best at 15 inches each way but when I tried my allotment I did better at 20 inches each way. I'm not sure the bigger plants gave a better total yield but I got bigger cobs over a longer cropping period.
I've since gone back to sweetcorn in the back garden because it is closer to the saucepan.

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2011, 04:19:23 »
i planted 62 silver queen seeds in my 5 friends format .
 Wednesday 14 2011
it should be great again.

you all find out the format when my book comes out.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2011, 07:39:19 »
Due to continuing AP problems I have lots of corn this year but unfortunately cannot give them any friends particularly beans.  Tend to chit them in kitchen roll and then plant out under bottle cloches, planting a few in modules to fill any gaps.  Since they are pregerminated there are not many needed.  I tend to put them about 9 inches apart a foot between rows min three rows.  I am interested in what you say about spacing because I always thought I planted way too close. 

I had some Early Bird left from last year which I sowed direct two to a station and only had three missing stations.  These are now about two feet plus tall and finally beginning to accelerate. 

If you have information to share plainleaf we are all interested but I do not think this is not the right place to advertise your book.  Sweetcorn in shops here cheap enough but not same as fresh from the plant. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal