Author Topic: Gigantis Plaki (cheat version) With Butter beans  (Read 3613 times)

gazza1960

• Hectare
Gigantis Plaki (cheat version) With Butter beans
« on: October 10, 2014, 17:34:58 »
As were not all afforded the luxury of growing the bean itself,step forward the Butter Bean  !!!!!!

There are far too many versions of this to stick to the traditional so this is "My Take" and fed Jude Mum and I last night,no complaints
and fed us all again today reheated for lunch.

In Cyprus it is served a drier version on bread but artistic license being the best tool in the kitchen told me to
add more fluid and it ends up more akin to a stew.

2 Tins Butter Beans
1 Tin Chopped Tomatoes
1 Carton Tomato Passata with Basil
1 Tsp Smoked Paprika
1 Tsp Dried Oregano
1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/2 pint Vegetable stock
Splash of Olive oil for cooking
2 Garlic Cloves chopped fine
2 sticks celery chopped small
1 Spanish Onion chopped small
3 Carrots chopped small
1 Aubergine chopped small
2 Bay Leaves (removed at end of cooking)
Handful Curly Parsley chopped fine
Few leaves of Dill chopped fine
Hand Full of Whole Beans chopped small
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

To help the slow cooking I prefer to soften the Fresh vegetables first in a wok/pan for 5 mins on a medium heat.

Once the vegetables are softened add them along with all the remaining ingredients to your Slow Cooker/Stock Pot/or similar
cooking pot....I just set it on Low 6 hours and went out  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!  but a high heat does cut down on time,the only thing I found is the Butter beans degrade quicker ,so I  just let it bubble away on a slower temp  !!!!!!!!!!!

Serve with Toasted Pitta Bread ............I chose to Roast a Chicken Breast sliced, and dunked in the stew.

Todays Lunch was served with the leftover stew plus some crumbled Feta cheese which was tasty and a few cuts of French stick.

Thoroughly enjoyed it.and bloomin filling..!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gazza

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Gigantis Plaki (cheat version) With Butter beans
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 21:04:36 »
WOW - thank you for this recipe.  Looks so good!

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 22:29:53 »
They're a doddle to grow - and about 3 times the size of a butter bean!

Love Gigandes Plaki though ... a truly great warming recipe!  I don't have cheese on top of mine - but it's a winner however you serve it!

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 00:56:18 »
Yes.it was your comment the other day about the beans and my recent visit to Cyprus where we ate it served "room temp" on pittas
with Feta that inspired me to do the recipe,albeit the cheats version,I will look out for the "Real thing" for next season on our bean rack.

Cheers

Gazza

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 09:20:19 »
Just have to mention arriving in Volos during heavy snow, trying to get a taxi to take us up to a village on Mount Pelion, being turned out of the taxi in the village below ours, and taking refuge in the local taverna. It was serving great bowls of this, or something very like it. A warming life saver after a long and difficult journey, and it gave us the strength to walk up to our village through deep snow carrying our luggage. Delicious food.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 21:07:38 »
Another great recipe.  I will give this a whirl.  I have some dried French beans,  Ryders top of the pole will I am sure do a good job instead of the butter beans.   Like the thought of the feta crumpled on top.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 16:27:33 »
Just have to mention arriving in Volos during heavy snow, trying to get a taxi to take us up to a village on Mount Pelion, being turned out of the taxi in the village below ours, and taking refuge in the local taverna. It was serving great bowls of this, or something very like it. A warming life saver after a long and difficult journey, and it gave us the strength to walk up to our village through deep snow carrying our luggage. Delicious food.
Ohhh, snow already in Greece??
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 19:28:12 »
Well, it was a New Year visit a few years ago. Greece is gorgeous over New Year, but on mountains you do get snow and very slithery ice, which makes this recipe all the more perfect. Our woodfired heater did not work very well, so on arrival at our cottage I made a lot of mulled wine to keep ourselves warm. Local wine a bit sharpish, but with added cloves and sugar, very acceptable.

To get the cloves, we had to climb down again to the lower village with a drawing of them....got offered nails to start with, but eventually a drawer was pulled out of a dresser FULL of cloves.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal