Author Topic: Supermarket veg seeds and cuttings  (Read 2919 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Supermarket veg seeds and cuttings
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2011, 22:13:53 »
Code: [Select]
Well hopefully it won't have the sprouting inhibitors in it.I've often come across that in supermarket sweet potatoes.
But last time I did have good success after I gave through soak in water over several water changes.
I submerged the whole thing in large bowl of water and kept changing couple times a day.
After 3 days I put the potato in heated propagator on piece of wet fabric and I kept it wet all the time.
The potato was all the time warm to touch and it did started sprouting quite quickly. Previous attempt with different potato without soaking (bought same time) did sprout eventually but it did take weeks.

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2011, 22:23:23 »
thats the ones   thanks jeannine   just couldnt think of their name and iam ok starting them off in june  phew

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2011, 06:44:12 »
It is getting a bit too late to sowing cape gooseberry seed for now. They form their fruit quite late in the season  and need to grow quite large bush first. In mild winters I've manage to over winter some plants before for slightly earlier crops.
I would save the seeds and sow them next year. You'll be looking to sow from end of February to begining of April. Without knowing the variety..earlier the better as the larger (common) varieties take longer to grow to fruiting size....and you won't need many of those plants to fill the GH... ;D ;D

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2011, 09:00:20 »
t hanks for those tips i had started chitting on cotton wool    before this topic came up mainly to see if they would start( chitting nicely) i only started a few off any tips on how i should save the rest of the seed until next   year   just dry in brown bags  cool place not yet decided to with leave on wool and plant or to try and pick them singlely   lol just decided thin out by picking up a few singlely and the rest grow on by planting with wool      sorted

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal