Author Topic: Transplanting snowdrops  (Read 2429 times)

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Transplanting snowdrops
« on: January 28, 2005, 22:34:53 »
I want to move some snowdrops from one part of the garden to another.  I know that they have to be transplanted 'in the green' but does this mean while in flower/before flowering/or after flowering ???
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
Re: Transplanting snowdrops
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005, 23:15:16 »
certainly AFTER flowering.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 09:04:12 »
Thanks Mary ;)
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2005, 11:21:47 »
Damp soil to damp soil and not splitting the clumps doesn't matter, in flower or after.  If splitting the clumps then after and don't split into single bulbs, better in little clumps of 5 or so. They like company.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Hex

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2005, 22:15:56 »
A friend kindly transplanted some for me last year as they finished flowering, putting them in large clumps in pots and carefully instructing me to plant them as soon as I got home.
Typically it took me a few weeks to actually plant them by which time they had dried out a lot.  Thought it was a waste of time planting them but pleased to report not only have they all survived but they have actually increased in number. 

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2005, 11:07:08 »
It was the 'in large clumps in pots' which helped. When it is said that Snowdrops do not like being moved it really means 'dried out' in the way that tulips or daffodils are when sold in shops. Snowdrops are what is known as a 'naked' bulb. In other words they do not have a skin which protects the bulb from desiccation. Simple really!
Gardening is the great leveller.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal