Author Topic: cardamom  (Read 2650 times)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: cardamom
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2011, 12:48:36 »
Hubby said put on top of the wardrobe to address altitude :)

Yes I thought an upstairs window  ;D but I think height is just for flowering/fruit, not the whole growing thing, I hope!

I'm just doing an online order jobbie for cardamom pod and Oh dear, I seem to be finding all sorts of other must haves to buy as well  :o
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Gadget

• Acre
  • Getting dug in, Hertford
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2011, 12:58:59 »
I know it's a bit like opening up the equivalent to pandora's box :), I only allow myself to look at seeds on line when I haven't got any form of payment card with me.. then I do the really sad thing of filling a basket of imaginery seeds and then press delete.... ;D

Gadget

• Acre
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2011, 10:09:26 »
OMG OMG - i have 2 seeds sprouting, and everytime I lift the lid I get this gorgeous aromatic smell, how's everyone elses doing?? :)

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2011, 18:58:32 »
thats it...buying some as can't resist the challenge :) Well done Gadget!!
Jackie

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2011, 20:11:33 »

Nooooooooooo.............. oh go on then!  there is no wonder i get laught at, at the allotment ::) Is there anything else i can grow from my kitchen cupboard?

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2011, 08:38:45 »
Way to go gadget  ;D
Can't wait to sow mine.

Twoflower you could try, cumin, fenugreek, coriander, juniper or star anise. i'm sure there are more though. I think I'll have a go with star anise, it can keep the cardamom company.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2011, 08:48:33 »
 ;D ;D..you lot.. ;D
Well.. I've got some Shechuan peppercorns (mind the spelling) in fridge..they've been in there for 3 months and time is up for them..I'm going to sow those this week..

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2011, 08:57:25 »
I am already growing the fenugreek.I got it at a seed stewards training day at the allotment. It is the tiny seed not the larger one.It is supposed to be better and will sometimes over winter.I have also got some caraway on the go. I am goint to try some star anise that I have in the cupboard ;D
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Gadget

• Acre
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2011, 13:36:03 »
Way to go gadget  ;D
Can't wait to sow mine.

Twoflower you could try, cumin, fenugreek, coriander, juniper or star anise. i'm sure there are more though. I think I'll have a go with star anise, it can keep the cardamom company.

Oh nooo, going to have to start raiding my store cupboard, love all those spices.... :)

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2011, 17:16:33 »
I have a packet of hemp seed from a health food shop (ie legitimate) and used it for the first time today. Crushed, they made  a crisp and tasty coating for some spinach and goats cheese (should have been ricotta....) polpetti that I made for lunch.

Now I'm wondering if I could grow the  seeds. Didn't the Archers once have a few episodes on fields of hemp grown for fibre (hallucogenic properties bred out)?

[I am wearing a hemp skirt at this very moment, lovely material, like heavy cotton].

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2011, 18:07:34 »
All the hemp seed that are sold in UK should be heat treated to prevent germination..and it is illegal to grow hemp without licence ... ::)
But it is not unknown that the heat don't reach to each seed and some do germinate...often seen around bird tables..

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2011, 07:53:09 »
We have birds in aviaries and often get that plant sprouting....got told off by a Prison Officer relative of a friend...we hadn't twigged!
Jackie

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2011, 13:49:47 »
Well, 5 days later, these health food shop hemp seeds are sprouting like mad. What shall I do with them??? Try to grow my own skirt in a hidden corner?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2011, 15:38:43 »
..get your pipe out... :o :-X...err how about some rope.. ;)

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2011, 16:20:05 »
Well, 5 days later, these health food shop hemp seeds are sprouting like mad. What shall I do with them??? Try to grow my own skirt in a hidden corner?

They are beautiful looking plants :)
Jackie

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal