Author Topic: Ginger beer plant?  (Read 8133 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Ginger beer plant?
« on: June 01, 2011, 22:31:40 »
 I left mine in the UK d**n it. I  took my bread starter, my Amish Friendhip cake starter but let my Ginger Beer one behind.

Does anyone make their own and would be able to mail  a bit off to me please.

I can return postage or trade seeds , whatever to compensate

fingers crossed

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

aj

• Hectare
Re: Ginger beer plant?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 22:47:41 »
You can just start a new one with yeast, sugar and ginger can't you?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 05:23:52 »
Hi, no not really they are not the same.. I know some folks insist they are but I could tell a difference from mine and one a friend tried to make. She also agreed they were different and took some of mine. Hers was harsher somehow

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 07:56:44 »
Jeannine..do you mean starter similar to Kefir grains?
Not the 'ordinary yeast' based but the 'yeast-bacterial' colony type grains that 'swim' in the beer..so difficult to describe ::)
I used to have those sort of grains few years ago..I still have some contacts and possibly could hunt some down or get some contact details for you if those  'grains' are what you are looking for... ;)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 08:06:28 »
Actually..now when your post 'tickled' my memory..I used to use 'water kefir' grains for making ginger beer..there was 'great debate' one time going on weather the ginger beer plant and the water kefir is the one and same thing. Many claimed its being same. At the time I couldn't find the 'original' ginger beer 'plant' anywhere..nobody did..and many of us did use water kefir..but not ever having tasted the result of the 'original' sort cannot tell if there is any difference. With water kefir grains the beer certainly did get fizzy and had little 'strenght' to as well..only little though.. ;) And the 'grains' didn't mind the ginger beer neither, they did multiply and 'looked' happy.
Water kefir grains are small gelly like 'grains' and swim up and down in the beer..that is the best way to describe them..
If you google water kefir..I know there is load of 'users' in America..and possibly in Canada..but failing that I'm certainly happy to source some from here for you.. ;)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 08:10:57 »
AAnnd..another thing.. ::) ;D..there is world wide kefir grains savers circle in net..I'll try to dig that page out for you..members there advertise when they are willing share their spare grains with others...I'm sure there is loads of Canadian members there too..well there was when I last time browsed.. ::) I'll get back to you.. ;)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 08:25:15 »
I was looking at this the other day but "real" ginger beer plant is hard to find - mostly it is just yeast rather than the symbiotic mix of yeast and bacteria.
http://www.retro-culture.com/shop.html
These people sell the real stuff but there is a wait - 2 or 3 months!

Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 08:27:15 »
I've just googled ginger beer plant & it's on ebay. I don't know if it's the right one though.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 08:29:58 »
There seem to be lot of different names for the 'baby'.. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tibicos

Weed-Digga

• Half Acre
  • Slough, BERKS
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 11:28:22 »
Found this website, a whole new experience for me, I never knew such things existed!!

http://www.kefirshop.co.uk

Weed-Digga
If it's Rosie's allotment - how come Muggins here does so much digging?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 11:44:37 »
Yep..kefir shop sells them all..but they are not cheap..
I usually source for 'seed saving circles' ..you get them free or just a cost of postage.. ;)
Code: [Select]
I never knew such things existed!!No,lot of people are still unaware..and kefir has been around hundreds if not thousands of years..the original proper pro-and pre-biotic drinks. Milk kefir has about 60 wild yeast and friendly bacteria in it..when these commercial version only got one or two!
Ohh...I should really start another tread about kefir..I could go on and on about it.. ;D ;D
If you are interested..here is excellent link for kefir..http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html#traditional-kefir

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 11:47:09 »
Do remember that home made ginger beer made with a 'plant' is alcoholic. You can send your children to school tipsy or get caught for drunk driving.

There was quite a long thread some time ago about whether any yeast would do.  

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 12:06:17 »
I've come across this about the subject..with few interesting links..
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f167/ginger-beer-plant-vs-water-kefir-227629/

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 12:12:24 »
and this... ;D
Code: [Select]
http://www.gingerbeerplant.net/GetGBP.php,..now I start feeling like getting some going on again for myself.. ::)
I've bought various culture starters in past and when it comes summer..I always find it such a efford to keep them going..too busy with garden...maybe I should wait until autumn and keep all the jars and bottles 'brewing' just during quiet time of the year... :-\

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 13:29:31 »
Found this website, a whole new experience for me, I never knew such things existed!!

Weed-Digga

Good Spot - A nasty looking site but very interesting!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 13:36:51 »
Hi, no not really they are not the same.. I know some folks insist they are but I could tell a difference from mine and one a friend tried to make. She also agreed they were different and took some of mine. Hers was harsher somehow

XX Jeannine

Mine tasted fine; must be 'one of them folks' that don't know quality ginger beer.  ???

Gadget

• Acre
  • Getting dug in, Hertford
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 14:45:30 »

Weed-Digga

Cheers Weed-Digga - was looking for a suitable present for a friend who is fiendish about Ginger beer.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 07:51:10 »
Thank you all fro your help. a lovely A4Aer has come to my rescue and has sent me some from his which is the original and quite old which is exactly waht I was hoping for

XX Jeannine

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal