Author Topic: Oh! no not again!  (Read 2855 times)

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Oh! no not again!
« on: June 05, 2011, 18:57:16 »
White onion rot (2nd. attack) in a completely different area on one of two of my plots.
I am really concerned that that will be it for the next 20yrs. & I'll be dead then as well!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Oh! no not again!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 22:30:41 »
I've just re-tried them on one of my plots after a 10 year gap... but they are succumbing to the new onion fly...  :o

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 22:44:00 »
Oh no, telboy, how about growing them in brought in compost, on top of plastic, or in containers of some kind? I know it's not the same, but...

saddad, you must be gutted after waiting ten years to try again.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 09:35:06 »
We are growing what is supposed to be white rot resistant variety. Got them from T&M with me £5 voucher. The variety is Santero.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 09:38:16 by shirlton »
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 10:14:38 »
I always feel that "resistance" is the wrong way to go with this.. just allowing the fungus spores to build up in the soil...  :-X

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 10:47:49 »
Is downy mildew the same as white rot?  Santero is downy mildew resistant, I have some recollection of deciding not to buy as it is white rot resistance we need - but I may be completely wrong (wont be the 1st time!).

We've got white rot this year, every one on the site is suffering and losing overwintered onions.  I have pulled all my Griselle shallots but the Jermors are still OK touch wood.  But a couple of my neighbours had very large garlic beds which appear wiped out though they have not been lifted.  Honestly we are our own worst enemies, they must be producing spores like crazy.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 13:32:33 »
It's all over our site.... and it's the first year for the site after several years fallow.... I'm getting some garlic powder from the equestrian suppliers to try over everything that hasn't got onions on it and will take steps next year when planting out.....

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 16:24:29 »
It's all over our site.... and it's the first year for the site after several years fallow.... I'm getting some garlic powder from the equestrian suppliers to try over everything that hasn't got onions on it and will take steps next year when planting out.....

Bit baffled about using the garlic powder over what has not got onions in it
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 18:05:50 »
Farmers are using garlic 'tea' for their fields to reduce the white rot effect. The theory is ( it is tested to work) that by spraying the 'brew' on field, the is the necessary chemicals in that will set the white rot to start its growth but as there is no actual alliums to feed on the fungus cannot reproduce and it weakens/die. It doesn't get rid of the problem but it is said to reduce the occurence..
It should work well enough for commercially worth while crop even with some losses for the rot.

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 19:23:07 »
Details of the theory and dosages of this organic treatment for white rot are on this page :- http://www.growyourown.info/page173.html
The information was taken from  research papers. I treated one of my beds last year which is now planted up with garlic, onions and shallots and should be able to advise you in the Autumn if it has been successfull.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 20:22:03 »
I new about the garlic and onion tea its just that i thought that you used it where you are going to put your onions so it activated then died back then you planted your onions.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

zigzig

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 22:35:06 »
If you keep growing your onions in the same space year after year then you can expect nature to find a way to get you back.

Swap your  growing areas for a couple of years 

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 22:50:19 »
You have to apply the garlic solution or powder the year before you will grow the alliums.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 17:42:57 »
sorry to hear about the white rot. Nasty. Some people on our site have it, so far, crossed fingers I've avoided it. But the garlic spray looks interetsing. Let us know how you get on with it realfood.

boydzfish

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 22:13:51 »
 >:(You have my sympathy as well. I had some trouble with this last year in my onion plot and, as I have only had the allotment a couple of years thought that it might be just the one area of the allotment. When I rotated the beds this year I drenched the new onion bed with Armillatox which I discovered after some research about the problem (I have also heard of the garlic solution and I read that garlic will actually kill the fungus). Anyway I have just lost most of my shallots, thinking it was the dry weather - I still have some in but they look to be OK.

If it is any consolation this is supposed to be particularly bad in dry weather and we have had loads of that for a change!!I was going to retry the Armillatox again but stuffed some late carrots into the plot so hopefully I will get some of these as a consolation. I see one poster has suggested plastic linings and brought in growing medium which I was also considering, but the spores apparently can be windbourne or carried around on boots or tools so it is a real problem. Ho hum, at least the strawberries are good this year............
Boydzfish

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 09:13:36 »
well some of my garlic has caught the lurgy so not H.A.P.P.Y! And I've also been wondering about how the dry weather has affected it, or not. I wonder if it is more susceptible?

Off to make garlic pickles with the dodgy stuff, freeze other batches and try and rescue and store the good ones  :-\ Looks like a busy few days ....

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 17:17:00 »
well some of my garlic has caught the lurgy so not H.A.P.P.Y! And I've also been wondering about how the dry weather has affected it, or not. I wonder if it is more susceptible?

Off to make garlic pickles with the dodgy stuff, freeze other batches and try and rescue and store the good ones  :-\ Looks like a busy few days ....

Dry weather impedes the rot, it'll explode through now we've had some rain..... Going to treat my "bean area" this year qwith garlic powder technique..... though will probably also go the "nuclear option" route as well......

chrisc

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal