Author Topic: Runny Strawberry Jam  (Read 2727 times)

Pink Fingers

• Quarter Acre
  • That's the pot planted, now for the veg ...
Runny Strawberry Jam
« on: June 14, 2011, 17:57:56 »
I thought I was organised for my jam making but lost (mislaid) my pectin.  Being impatient I went ahead anyway and now have some pretty runny jam, though it does taste very nice.

Now I have found the pectin would it be possible to boil up the jam again and add the pectin? If so, what process should I use?  Help please.

Whilst on the subject. is it possible to freeze strawberries to make jam with later?  I know they go soggy when frozen, but figure they do that in jam anyway.

Thanks

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
Re: Runny Strawberry Jam
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 18:07:53 »
I don't know about pectin as I use lemon juice.    When I forgot to put it in I added it later and reheated, so I would think pectin would be the same.   I do my jam in the M/W.
I will be interested to hear what others think.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 18:13:54 »
I use lemon juice, too but last year, used pectin as well, the jam was brilliant. when I made runny jam, it was great as a topper for ice cream  ;D
I freeze loads of strawberries, unfreeze, drain through a seive , use the liquid as a drink and use the strawberries for the jam  ;D

Pink Fingers

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 18:14:09 »
I did add lemon juice, but it didn't seem to do the job for me.

Microwave sounds interesting, how long do you give it in there

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 18:14:18 »
Pink fingers, yes you can do it.. which pectin do you use. If powdered put it in with the cold jam and bring to the boil, if liquid, bring the jam to a boil then add and boil for 1 minute. I find the liquid is easier. Certo which come in a bottle in the UK. Strawberry jam needs a bit of lemon jiuce as well as pectin when making it but if you have it in already I shouldn't add more

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 18:17:18 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 20:03:46 »
I put the suger on the strawberries overnight and I find that the fruit keeps their shape better in the finnished jam.
My problem this year is their so nice that there getting eat with ice cream and theres not been enough to make jam yet  :'( :'(
Keep hoping that they get fed up of them (fat chance)  ;D ;D

Pink Fingers

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 22:19:03 »
Thanks Jeannine, the pectin I have is powdered so I'm going to follow your advice, though I may just save one jar for the icecream as recommended by manicscousers.

I also left mine in sugar overnight as recommended by my Grandmothers cookery book circa 1920, the only one of my books that suggested that.

Thanks for the advice everyone and happy bottling :D

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 22:24:10 »
I was told that adding apple or rhubarb to my jam would be like using pectin. I normally use mixed fruit in my jams, including the afore mentioned and it sets alright.

vitruvius8

• Quarter Acre
  • Walled Garden, North Wales
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 22:25:35 »
Usually use lemon juice in Strawberries never have a problem, often sets hard enough to make a greenhouse base!  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal