Author Topic: Compost is King!  (Read 13353 times)

GeeGee

• Quarter Acre
Re: Compost is King!
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2011, 01:40:16 »
Regarding compost bins vs deleks. Now I am completely confused!  :-\

At this moment in time I have visions of me having both and possibly different varieties all lined up to find out which is best.  ;D Then of course there will be the horsey manure pile and the leaf mould cage and the water butt (possibly butts) and ........... ops no space left for the veggies!  ;D

I did read somewhere that the art of creating a good compost is a science!  :) Beginning to think that never a truer word was said.  ;D

Or perhaps, with hats off to you guys who seem to create brilliant compost, it is more a natural talent, like anyone can cook but it takes talent to produce those really mouthwatering meals and delectable cakes.  :)

Can't see where this lecturer chap thinks the council sell deleks cheap though. Looked it up for our local council and they were around £50 each. Suppose it could be something to do with the cuts they are having to make.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2011, 05:43:34 »
I bought my Daleks about 5 years ago and they were about £5 on a special deal at the time which has since rocketed with the new found interest in allotments, and aquired a few freebies along the way.
I don't know where this illegal to take home compost to the lottie comes from, when we had our recycle wheely bins delivered last year, we asked for a smaller green bin as we take most of ours to the lottie, we were given a smaller bin and were told its good to to see you recycling your veggies, grass etc in this way.   :P
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

GeeGee

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2011, 15:13:19 »
Maybe the illegal thing was some directive put in place at the time of the last outbreak of foot and mouth, or maybe someone somewhere has misread it and over a period of time it has become passed on as a fact rather than the real truth. Bit like an urban myth!  ;D

Suffice to say I shall be sneaking my veggie peelings or boshaki bin contents down to the allotment. Even if it has to be done in the dead of night with black clothing on and a balaclava!  ;D

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2012, 14:52:28 »
There actually exist laws regarding transferring waste from one site to another, and it does include home-waste being taken to your lotty. :o
According to the research I did regarding setting up our own allotments, your landlord or association should apply for a waiver to the law. I can't remember quite: hang on....  "Google!"    "C'mere"...

Google says have a look around here if you've a mind to    environmentlaw.org
We all have a duty of care nowadays.... It probably sounds daft to us like-minded people, but without this kind of legislation people would simply keep tossing their waste anywhere they think they won't smell it.

"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2012, 23:09:05 »
I have pallet bins and 2 daleks for 'finishing off'. I'm also much more choosy than I used to be about what i put in my bins. Couchgrass and its ilk go to the council. i don't bother contaminating my compost.
On a lottie with a lot of it I'd burn it and use the ash. The old rasp roots have also gone out and a lot of the rose prunings. All my veg waste goes in and I keep an orange builders bucket under the sink for all household compostable waste from flowers to tea bags. Emptied and washed and lined with brown paper/ envelopes something to keep it 'stickfree'.
Even with a big weelie collection once a fortnight I still make a good load of compost and yes the mice do get underneath. I leave them until they start attacking my poly seedlings and then I take action.....BTW my compost gets turned as often as I can manage or get my grandson to do it. In a perfect world it would be every couple of weeks then it wouldn't suffer from lack of oxygen. If you want a lesson[and a cup of tea] drop in- i'm in N. Lincs ;D ;D

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2012, 06:10:59 »
I just had a new roof and am using the old batterns to build a leaf cage and a compost bin

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2012, 07:15:27 »
We have five pallet bins at the lottie,takes about nine months for it all to turn into luvverly crumbly compost..we now have two daleks at home and it doesnt seem to break down anywhere near as quickly. Even with the rabbits bedding in them. Still,they look a bit 'nicer' seeing that they are in our garden,and we won't be using the resulting compost till the chav neighbours move out anyway,and we can start to garden.
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2012, 17:10:04 »
I've got five compost bins and a pile. Everything gets recycled; if a weed root isn't quite dead when I turn the bins out in the spring, it goes straight back in. In practice, the only things that survive are big dock roots, and they're so weakened they probably wouldn't re-establish themselves anyway.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal